7 Reasons To Become A Minimalist

7 Reasons To Become A Minimalist

You will feel lighter.

144
7 Reasons To Become A Minimalist
Laura Moon

Recently, I have begun to embark on the journey towards minimalism and I think it may be the best thing I have ever done for myself. Growing up, my mother would always call me a scatter-brain, because I was notorious for losing everything, perpetually being late, and always forgetting to do vital steps in certain situations. Looking back and knowing what I know now, I truly believe that my head was cluttered because my life was cluttered - I had too much stuff I didn't even need, I committed to too many organizations or events that I really didn't care about and I also spent too much time with people that truly never had my best interest. Hence, the scatter brain.

If this rings a bell for any one else, I undoubtedly recommend trying Minimalism for yourself. So, what exactly is minimalism? Well, the greatest part about minimalism, is that there are no strict guidelines or a rule book. There is really no right way to achieve it, but the ides is that your goal should be to create a life where you are only surrounded by what your truly love. Through this process of Minimalism, you should simply strive to wave good-bye to any fluff or distractions so that you may choose to truly focus on what you love and what is most important to you. With this change in lifestyle, you will find clarity in all aspects of your life, including your mind.

1. You'll save money.

As a minimalist, you simply become more aware of what you can live with and what you can live without. As a minimalist shopping is not totally off of the table, but you will definitely become more aware of your purchases and only choose what sparks joy for you.

2. You are decreasing your footprint, and helping out Mother Earth.

Over-consumption is kind of our thing as Americans. Choosing to live with less not only reduces waste and stress on our environment, but it also questions the status quo of American consumerism. Additionally, it strengthens the unpopular concept that less is more!

3. You will never have to tidy ever again!

I actually recommend this book to everyone, not just the scatterbrains, because it will change your life.The book, The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying Up, written by Marie Kondo, will equip you with an amazing life skill and she promises you that you will only have to perform this learned skill ONCE! Her approach to tidying incorporates minimalism throughout and with this, teaches the reader how to truly tidy. The only two steps (which are far more detailed on how to pursue in her book) are decluttering and finding a home for every item. She claims in her book that if you thoroughly go through each step, then you will indeed never have to tidy again!

4. You will spend your money on experiences not things.

Due to the money you save, you will choose to spend money on experiences rather than material items that you do not need. These experiences will help you grown in ways that stuff never could and you will become a much more cultured and intelligent human being because of it.

5. You will become more mindful of who you wish to spend your time with.

Like I mentioned before, a part of minimalism is choosing to only surround yourself with things that you truly love and this also applies to people! Minimalism will make you more aware of those who are bringing you up and those that are only bringing you down - so choosing to live with less also means choosing to surround yourself with only positivity, while the negativity can be left out of your life.

6. You will stop over committing, and only chose to participate in events, extracurriculars and with organizations that you truly love.

Unfortunately, we must face the fact that we are mere mortals and that it is impossible to work over 50 hours every single week. So, there comes a point when you need to figure out what is vital to continue and what needs to be dropped. If not, I guarantee you will continue to feel empty and unfulfilled because this life was not meant to solely be work. You will also find that work becomes more rewarding, once you stop stretching yourself so thin.

7. You will feel lighter

I can certainly vouch for this one, because since I have begun this journey I have gotten rid of so many frivolous things in my life that were holding me back and I never even realized it. These things being clothes, accessories, organizations, people, and so much more. I no longer feel obligated to all of these things that were holding me down and creating the scatter-brain effect. The best way to describe this feeling is lightness - I just feel as if an enormous weight has been lifted, and I can see clearly for the first time in ages.