7 Realizations You Experience During Your First Month of College

You learn something new every day!

1255

Now that my first month of college is behind me, I have had time to reflect on the many “firsts” I have experienced since arriving here on move-in day. I had my first college class, my first anxiety-filled meal at the cafeteria, my first college party, my first college darty, my first tailgate, and of course, my first night sleeping in my new room. All of these experiences were mini rites of passage that got me adjusted to college life. Though I received countless tips of advice from my family and friends before leaving to begin the next four years of my life, nothing could quite prepare me for college until I, myself, was a college student. Here are some realizations I experienced during my hectic first month that you may experience too.

1. Your dorm room is even smaller than you thought it would be.

In the months leading up to move-in day, my mother repeatedly attempted to instill in my head how tiny my dorm room would be, and that the stuff I had packed simply would not fit. She reminded me of my limited closet space, storage space, and that I would be sharing this small space with someone else. However, neither of us were prepared for how small the room would actually be until we walked in. I was given, by far, the smallest dorm room on campus, so small that my roommate’s bed is literally pushed into the closet to maximize floor space. Better yet, my dorm is in between the two nicest dorms on campus, in which the rooms are twice the size, if not bigger. But hey, it’s cozy, right?

2. Joining clubs and organizations on campus is one of the best ways to meet new people.

In high school, I was very involved in extra-curricular activities including clubs and sports teams. I met amazing people through being involved in these organizations, and I have had the same positive experience here at college. By joining clubs, you are connecting with people who share similar interests as you, which can be a great start to developing a friendship. Just be careful not to join too many clubs (guilty…) or you may find yourself unnecessarily overwhelmed!

3. Food on campus may start to get old as early as your third week.

When you take your first tour of the campus, you feel overwhelmed by the vast array of dining options from the cafeteria to fast food chains. I can assure you, that within two or three weeks of eating this food you start to feel bored and crave more. Growing up only about twenty minutes from New York City, it isn’t easy going from having such a wide variety of healthy food options to very few, southern food chains. I had never heard of “Moe’s”, and I had only eaten “Chick-fil-a” once. If you’re anything like me, you feel an inherent need to explore the surrounding area and find the new and best places to eat off campus.

4. You have absolute control over your time and how you spend it, which can be positive and negative.

Living at college has been one of the first times in my life where I have absolute independence and can do whatever I want whenever I want (for the most part). No one is sitting with me making sure I do my homework, telling me when to wake up or go to sleep, or even telling me to go to class. In fact, if I wanted to go out every night of the week, no one would stop me. However, when classes are over an hour long, missing one can lead to a downward spiral in which you are the sole person responsible for getting yourself back on track. This newfound sense of freedom can be both liberating and frightening.

5. Professors actually want to see you succeed, have strict guidelines, and some even know your name.

Though these factors may differ depending on the size of the school, at my school, all of these statements ring true. My assumption was that in college classes, you could be on your phone, not pay attention, and your professor would not care because the responsibility falls on you. This could not be further from the truth. Four of my five classes prohibit technology from being used in class, and only one of my classes excludes participation as part of the final grade. That being said, contrary to popular belief, college classes are not that drastically different from high school classes. As long as you are engaged and committed to succeeding, you’ll be fine. Remember, you were accepted into the college, so you are more than capable of succeeding.

6. Social media does not accurately depict college life.

College is just as much about the academics as it is about the social scene. When choosing a college, it is easy to get caught up in what you see people from other schools posting, such as pictures from parties or tailgates. It is important to remember that while parties/darties/tailgates are one or two days of the weekend, classes go on all week. Be careful not to let social media posts influence your perception of a certain college or people that attend that college. While they may look like they are having an absolute blast on game day and have made amazing friends within the first week, this is not always the case. But don’t get me wrong, college IS an absolute blast, and trumps high school in almost every way.

7. I still have A LOT to learn.

Even though one month at college feels like several years, I am far from an expert on living at college. I definitely still need to ask for directions, learn the best places to study at the library, and there is no doubt when people look at me, they can still tell I’m a freshman. I don’t declare my major for at least another year, I don’t begin sorority recruitment until January, and I haven’t even had my first round of final exams. I do not have my entire life together, and I am still meeting new people every day. Needless to say, I will have many more realizations by the time my first semester, and my first year come to a close.