7 Qualities of a Great Divorce Attorney

7 Qualities of a Great Divorce Attorney

When seeking legal assistance for your divorce, make sure your attorney is someone who meets this list of qualities.

23
7 Qualities of a Great Divorce Attorney

When filing for divorce, you want to have the best attorney on your side. Of course, this is a subjective matter, as your case will require representation that suits your specific needs. Still, if you're looking to hire a divorce attorney in Houston TX, you'll want to investigate this list of the 7 qualities that all the best divorce lawyers have in common.

7 Qualities of a Great Divorce Attorney in Houston TX

1. Experience

When it comes to handling a legal case as nuanced and involved as divorce, you'll want to put yourself in capable hands. In order to minimize your stress levels and maximize the probability of acquiring a favorable outcome, it's important to do your research. You want Houston's top family divorce lawyer in your corner, not a recent law school grad. Finding an attorney who's experienced, preferably with situations similar to yours, can help proceedings to go smoothly.

2. Expert Interpersonal Skills

An attorney is only as good as his or her interpersonal skills. Divorce negotiations require a back-and-forth discussion between your side and that of your former partner. You'll want your attorney to not only hear and understand your desires and needs but to be able to communicate them accurately to the other party. Listening skills, articulation, and confidence in public speaking can go a long way to convey your best interests during divorce proceedings.

You'll also want to look for a lawyer with a professional demeanor. Despite best efforts, sometimes divorces can get ugly. It can be difficult to keep calm and composed during a legal process that is highly emotionally charged. The best divorce lawyers know how to navigate tense or heated situations with composure and civility. Excellent interpersonal skills are a valuable asset for course correction when divorce proceedings get contentious.

3. Quality Research and Analytic Skills

Filing for divorce is complicated; the sheer volume of information that needs to be understood, processed, and interpreted in order to accurately represent a client can be overwhelming. Finding a lawyer who can easily tackle this material is a must.

Look for a lawyer with excellent organizational skills. Not only does a lawyer need to be familiar with the details of your proceedings, but they also need to be able to distill this information. There are many important factors that can impact the divorce, including legal questions, and the best attorney is able to synthesize these details in order to determine the best way to proceed with your case.

4. Sound Judgment

Because divorce is a legal process fraught with emotions for those involved, having a lawyer with sound judgment can be critical to ensure the legal proceedings are approached in a rational and logical manner. A great lawyer will be able to critically examine the particulars of your case, identify potential weak spots in arguments from either side, reinforce your bargaining position, and exercise impeccable judgment in making decisions in your best interest.

5. Ingenuity

Sound judgment and analytical skills in a lawyer are necessities for a smooth divorce. However, creative problem solving, resourcefulness, and ingenuity are essential to handling unforeseen problems and roadblocks. The best attorneys have the ability to improvise and think on their feet in the face of unexpected challenges. Ask your potential lawyers about how they addressed unforeseen problems in past cases and look for innovation in their answers.

6. Dedication

There's no such thing as a quick divorce. While some proceedings may be more clean-cut than others, there's always the possibility for divorces to become long and drawn-out. This is why it's essential to look for a lawyer who is dedicated to your case. Your attorney should be in it for the long haul; cases often involve in-depth research and long hours of deliberation and mediation. The best lawyers know how to persevere through even the longest legal proceedings.

7. Competitiveness

Even when your divorce is amicable or civil, there can still be an element of conflict in the proceedings. With the help of an assertive attorney, you can be sure that your voice and interests are appropriately represented and that as many of your conditions are met as possible. While you may not need to hire a ruthless attorney, a sensible dose of competitive spirit never hurts.

At the end of the day, every divorce is as unique as the individuals involved. The best attorney for you may not be the best attorney for someone else. However, even though your specific circumstances will impact what you seek from legal representation, this list of traits can provide an excellent guideline for finding a great attorney. Hiring a lawyer is one of the most important decisions in a divorce, so make sure yours is worth the time and effort