To My Younger Self, If Only You Knew Nothing Lasts Forever

If you remember all of these things and take them with you wherever you go, you’ll live a much healthier lifestyle than I did.
64

There are about a million things that I wish I knew growing up. There are so many lessons to be learned and so many adventures to experience — some good and some bad, but all serving a purpose.

To my younger self, I know it seems like everything happening now will last forever, but I promise it won’t. I know, I know, everyone says that. But just wait it out — you’ll see.

1. Nothing lasts forever.

Not friendships, not relationships, not sadness and not happiness. There will be days when you feel on top of the world, and there will be days when you just want to lay in your bed watching your favorite movies and eating comfort food. No matter which day it is, it will pass.

2. People are temporary, and not everyone is really supposed to be there forever.

There will be people who you think will be in your life forever. While it is great to have people you want to be there forever, that might not always be the case. They might not be in your greater plan. While it may hurt to accept that, it is for the best.

3. It’s OK to try new things.

You’re probably thinking, “yeah, but what if I’m bad at it?” Well, who cares? You’ll never know unless you try, and whatever it is might become your new favorite thing.

4. You are going to get hurt.

This is something you really can’t avoid. Yes, I know it’s going to suck, and I know it might make you feel less worthy than you truly are. Just try to remember that pain is just as temporary as the people who hurt you.

5. While you may get hurt, try not to hold grudges.

Life is way too short to hold grudges. It will not do any good for you to continue being bitter and angry at people for something that happened months ago.

6. Do not worry excessively about your future.

Yes, being proactive is a good thing. But worrying so much about what is going to happen in a year will only cause unnecessary stress. Please, don’t do it.

7. Everything happens for a reason.

Cliche, I know, but it is so true. Nothing in your life will happen without a reason. That reason may come down the road or may be shown right away, but it will come.

If you remember all of these things and take them with you wherever you go, you’ll live a much healthier lifestyle than I did. So please, take them and run with them because you won’t believe how much they will help.

Beyond these, whatever you do, love yourself, because you are the only person you’ll have forever. Make that person someone you want to be around.