7 Lessons I've Learned From A Breakup

7 Lessons I've Learned From A Breakup

There's a silver lining in everything – even a breakup.

83
7 Lessons I've Learned From A Breakup

I have only had one relationship in my 18 years of living, and since the breakup, I have learned dozens of lifelong lessons, seven of which I want everyone to know and understand. Heartache may bring you down for a period, but there is always a chance for you to grow and learn from your past.

1. It's OK to cry.

When my ex and I first broke up, I held in a lot of emotion. I shut everyone out and ignored my feelings. My goal was to not let anyone know I was hurting, including myself. I figured that if I stopped thinking about the pain and moved on with my life, it would eventually go away; I was wrong. The more I kept my feelings bottled up, the more it hurt. From this, I learned that it's alright to cry, it's alright to feel heartbroken, and it's necessary to recognize the hurt caused by the breakup; it's OK not to be OK. The only way to truly move on from the situation is to release the negative energy that it caused. Sometimes, you just have to let out the tears and let go of the fear.

2. You don't have to share any details on the breakup with anyone you don't want to.

I decided shortly after the breakup that I wasn't going to make a big fuss out of it. I wasn't going to quickly delete all of my Instagram posts of my ex and I and I wasn't going to spread the new information around to just anybody. My intention was to only share details on the breakup with my closest friends and let everyone else discover the news over time. As soon as the word hit the surface, questions arose and rumors began. While you may get tired of hearing the same comments and being asked the same questions, remember this: you don't have to explain anything you aren't comfortable with. If you're not OK with certain people knowing the details of your relationship and breakup, you don't have to share anything. It's your life, and you have the right to keep as open or private as you'd like.

3. It's OK to miss them.

You may feel ashamed for missing them. You may feel stupid or silly. However, it's completely natural to miss someone you spent weeks, months, and years with. It's odd going from talking to someone every day to not at all, but it's not odd to miss their company and who they were as a person. Don't feel embarrassed for wanting the memories back, along with the relationship. It may be rough for the first few months, but know that you're allowed to feel emotion and you're going to be OK.

4. But also, don't be afraid to move on.

It's totally normal to not want to let go of what you had with your ex. However, there comes a time where you can't be afraid to let go of the past and focus on the future; otherwise, your past will suffocate you and hold you back from new opportunities. It sucks and it's hard to move on – trust me, I know. In the end, you just have to keep your eye on what's to come and know there are better things in store. Hang out with your friends, apply for a new job, travel the world. Center your attention on things other than your ex, and spread positive vibes not only to others but to yourself.

5. If needed, find an outlet to take out your feelings.

My personal outlet after my breakup was through writing. I wrote out how the relationship went down, how I felt afterward, etc. Chances are, you're going to want to take your frustration and hurt out on something. Vent to your mom, your best friend, or your dog. Jam out to throwback songs from 2010 while working out. Take a long drive to clear your head and get some time to yourself. Whatever your escape may be, use it while you can; I promise you won't regret it.

6. Live while you can.

I'm not sure how many people can relate to this, but exiting a relationship makes you feel free. Once I finally got over my ex, all I wanted to do was YOLO (old saying, but it's still appropriate, right?). It's not like I didn't have any freedom while I was in a relationship, but being single gives you a sense of individuality and adventure. Take chances, go out of your comfort zone, grow close to people you never thought you would. Use your period of singleness to grow as a person and prepare yourself for the next relationship. Discover who you are, and enjoy everything – from the endless laughs to running on three hours of sleep after your high school prom.

7. When you are ready, cheer on your ex.

Again, I'm not sure how relatable this point is, but if your breakup was mutual or friendly, don't feel weird about rooting them on, whether it be behind the scenes or in person. My ex and I agreed to stay friends, and for a while, I didn't think it was possible. We hardly talked and things were still awkward for the first few months, but once both of us had gotten over the relationship, we started talking again as friends. I supported and was happy for him once he got into a new relationship and was accepted into one of his top colleges; he was always willing to give me advice and help me out in any way that he could. I'm not saying this lesson is for everyone, depending on their situation; but if you ended your relationship on good terms, don't be afraid to reach out and check on your ex once the timing is right. There is nothing wrong with letting go of grudges and wishing them the best, so why not love while you can?