7 Keys To A Healthy Relationship

7 Keys To A Healthy Relationship

Some important qualities to look for in every relationship.

224
7 Keys To A Healthy Relationship
Healthguruadda

Relationships are hard. No matter what, there will be difficulties at some time or another, in even the happiest and easiest relationships. The important difference between healthy, successful relationships and unhealthy relationships which flirt with failure, is the ability to deal with those difficulties without losing any amount of love between the two. In my mind, there are a few keys to having one of these healthier relationships. If you're looking for love, or already in a relationship, you can look for these things...

1. Challenge.

Each partner in the relationship should challenge the other in some way. This is something that many people may see as causing more harm, but it is actually useful. This does not mean constantly butting heads over disagreements because you challenge everything they say or do. It means that you provide some sort of space for them to grow as a person by challenging them to be better. It may be that one of you is more motivated in their career, and you want to help your partner find the strength to do the same. Challenge is about helping your significant other grow along with you. If a relationship isn't helping you become better, then you're missing an important piece.

2. Fun.

It is vital that you have a lot of fun in a relationship. This is especially true of being able to just laugh with your partner. Having fun means that your relationship is bringing you some sort of happiness and alleviating worry or stress - something which should be a perk of any relationship.

3. Good Communication.

This is so important. It is necessary in any relationship that there is adequate and clear communication between the people involved. If you can be open about communicating your issues, your feelings, and everything else, you will have a much easier time understanding one another. This can also lead to less worry about withholding information or lying as long as you feel comfortable sharing anything.

4. Having shared core values.

This is a big plus, but may be harder to locate. If you can find someone with whom you share your core beliefs, you can be more comfortable in feeling strongly about what you believe and acting accordingly. This isn't always an absolute necessity, as everyone can have their own values which may differ from others, even in slight ways. But, having someone who accepts your values is critical.

5. Put the other person first.

Being willing to put your partner before yourself, while they also want to do the same, is a sign of a strong, caring relationship. It is always important to remember to love and help yourself as well, so that you can do the same for the other person, but just having a general direction towards putting the needs of the other first will help you lead a useful life with your partner.

6. Trust/loyalty/support.

These pretty much speak for themselves. Trust is necessary, and will mean less worry and less fighting. Loyalty and support are about always being there ready to do anything to help your partner, even if it's just listening to them or something small to make them feel appreciated.

7. Compromise.

There are very often times in a relationship when compromise will be necessary. No matter how close you are, there will be times when you just want different things. Being willing to find compromise, and doing it so that both parties are happy, is very hard, but very possible.

These seven things are just some of the biggest standouts to me that signify a strong relationship. There are many factors which lead to a good relationship, but these are important ones to keep in mind.