7 Fashion Week Trends That Will Help Spring You Into Summer

Transform your look with trends from New York, London, and Milan.

95
Wordpress

Another year calls for another season for fashion week to unfold. Spring and Summer collections have officially kicked off as they have been showcased during fashion week in some of the biggest fashion capitals in the world: New York, London, and Milan.

As an avid fashion follower, one of my favorite pastimes is looking back at looks and highlights from previous fashion weeks (thanks, Vogue!). From the intricate designs, avant-garde styling, and star-studded front rows, what isn’t there to love about the famed fashion week?

Although I am constantly fawning over 90s Versace and modern Marc Jacobs, I never really considered incorporating the prominent couture featured in these shows into my everyday wardrobe. For those who do not read between the lines and look beneath the surface of designs (usually the same people who call the flamboyant designs of Vivienne Westwood and Jeremy Scott for Moschino “crazy”), it is difficult to imagine wearing such statement pieces in the workplace or as street-wear.

Nonetheless, we as a society unconsciously follow trends without realizing that we are live mannequins for a fashion catalog (yes, this even includes those who refuse to believe vivid patterns and statement accessories are wearable).

Eccentricity is no stranger to the ever-growing fashion industry, and the Spring/Summer 2018 season has emphasized this boldness. Are you ready to spring into the scorching Summer season with these elevating fashion week trends?

1. New York: Vivid Pops of Color

Left to Right: Tom Ford, Versace, Marc Jacobs

Even though Burberry and Kanye West’s Yeezy line are pioneers or the monochromatic neutral movement in Fall/Winter fashion, the tables have suddenly turned once the Spring equinox arrived. Earth tones are nearly out of sight this season as designers have traded a neutral palette for bright, saturated hues, which are commonly styled in a color-block or monochromatic approach.

2. London: Mixed Patterns

Left to Right: Valentino, Duro Olowu, House of Holland

London has been known for their eccentricity since the days of the punk revolution à la Sid and Nancy. Many pieces from London’s fashion week have consisted of a conglomeration of numerous bold patterns—whether it be polka dots against florals or stripes against geometric shapes. It is so wrong but it feels and looks so right. These looks are also easily transferable; they could either be daytime or evening wear.

3. Milan: Tons of Tulle

Left to Right: Oscar de la Renta, Dolce & Gabbana, Brognano, Nicopanda

As one of the largest fashion capitals in the entire world, Milan does not hesitate to take elaborate risks. Tulle is perfect for glamorous parties and events. It is simultaneously bold and feminine and depending on the way it's styled, extremely bold. Tulle calls for either a hit or a miss, but Milan got it just right.

4. New York: Transparencies

Left to Right: Adam Selman, Jeremy Scott for Moschino, Fenty x Puma

For a sexy, laid-back look in the blistering heat, transparencies are the way to go. It’s the perfect look to keep yourself cool and to prevent sweating and unusual stains. Whether it be in dresses, jackets, tops, or even bottoms— sheer clothing leaves little to the imagination but can withstand any weather.

5. London: Smooth in Satin

Left to Right: Gucci, Peter Pilotto, Topshop

Texture seems to be a reoccurring trend this season, and the smooth, sensual look of satin does the trick in several departments. Satin is comfortable enough to wear for hours on end while it also shines light in all the right places, accentuating the figure.

6. Milan: Practical Attire

Left to Right: Emilio Pucci, Versace, Atsushi Nakashima

For the buzzing businesswomen of today (or just diligent, determined women in general), apparel laced with multiple zippers and plenty of pockets is ideal. People are still occupied with work in the summer, whether it be an actual day job or an internship. The modern multi-hyphenate needs clothing that fits their needs and carries their belongings as well as they carry the head on their shoulders.

7. New York: Parka Paradise

Left to Right: Kith, Philip Plein, Chloé

It’s no surprise that 90s fashion is making a massive comeback in the 2010s, so the fact that a staple urban piece like the famed parka/windbreaker/anorak jacket is trending does not come as a shock. Ideal for those who enjoy lounging or do not want to expose their arms, the windbreaker is lightweight enough to wear through warmer temperatures and can protect from summer storms.