7 Classic Films Everyone Should See In Their Lifetime

4. "Bonnie and Clyde" (1967)

101
Taste of Cinema

I love movies, and I have since I was a little kid. I grew up on Disney movies: always the ones with the animals like "Lady and the Tramp," "The Fox and the Hound" and "The Aristocats". As I got older, my dad introduced me to how wide a world cinema could be. It was around 6th grade that I developed my love for action movies (especially the MCU), and by the end of grade school, my mom and dad had introduced me to the highlights of 1980s cinema as well. In high school, I, like most teenagers in the 2010s, loved the YA adaptions that came out at that time like "The Hunger Games" and "The Maze Runner."

In my senior year, I took a “Religious Themes in Film Class” (basically the Catholic High School equivalent of a blow-off senior elective marketed as a religion class) and was introduced to a much wider range of film. In this class my love for more “classic” cinema was born: I saw indie films, older films, foreign films, and some blockbusters too. Since coming to college, my growing love of cinema encouraged me to declare a major in Critical Communications, and I’ve taken really interesting, engaging classes in both Film Criticism and Film History.

These classes have exposed me to an even wider variety of cinema, helping me to appreciate that film is not simply entertainment or a business model (although it is definitely those things too), but also art and a way of expressing cultural commentary and concerns. In the spirit of this appreciation for movies, here is a list of 7 “classic” films that I would encourage everyone to see:

1. "Rebel Without a Cause" (1955)

This original coming-of-age teen film changed the representation of what being a teenager in America was like forever. James Dean is amazing in this film, and I really enjoyed it. After I saw this film, I loved it so much I bought it on DVD to share with my roommates. It also led me to investigate James Dean's other films, like "Giant" and "East of Eden," which I really enjoyed as well.

2. "Casablanca" (1942)

I saw this film in my high school film class, my film criticism class, and my film history class. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, and I've enjoyed re-watching it each time since. Every time I see it I notice something new, and I think it gives a really interesting insight to both the melodramatic genre of American film and the influence of World War II on film of the war era. Plus, I always tear up when Rick says, "Here's looking at you kid."

3. "Hugo" (2011)

Ok, yes, strange choice. 2011 was not that long ago, and "Hugo" is a film marketed to children. That being said, I would encourage all film lovers to check this film out. Based on a children's book, this film looks at the early beginnings of film. It focuses on the work of French filmmaker Georges Meliés and his "Trip to the Moon" film.

4. "Bonnie and Clyde" (1967)

This film opened up the age of New Hollywood Cinema. Any viewer can see that it varies greatly in style from films made before 1966, and a practiced film viewer will notice several aspects of the film influenced by the French New Wave. Criticism and analysis aside, this film is an amazing story. Fair warning: it has graphic violence, but it has one of the best end scenes to a film I have ever seen.

5. "Back to the Future" (1985)

I'd honestly be fairly surprised if you haven't heard of this film at all. It, along with "Star Wars", "Jaws," and "Indiana Jones" (all great films you should also see) led the way during the blockbuster boom of the 1980s. Full of action, comedy, music, special effects, and fun, the "Back to the Future" trilogy is a wild ride that anyone will enjoy.

6. "The Breakfast Club" (1985)

The 1980s had a lot of good films, and it was honestly hard to choose the best ones to put on this list. I could, however, not in good conscience ignore what might be my favorite film of all time. (So favorite, in fact, that I wrote my final film history paper on this John Hughes film and "Sixteen Candles.") It sets the standards for the teen stereotypes of Hollywood today- The Brain, The Basket Case, The Athlete, The Princess, and The Criminal. It's a really fun film to watch, has really identifiable for teens, and is a story that entertains you no matter how many times you've seen it.

7. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" (1937)

Why add "Snow White?" Since her debut in 1937, there have certainly been more popular Disney animated films, even more popular princesses; however, we all owe Snow White a bigger debt of gratitude than we realize. This 1937 film had the nickname "Disney's Folly" and many people thought it should never have been made. Why? Because this film is the first full-length feature animation, and at the time Disney Animation was a tiny little minor studio in Hollywood (Oh how the times have changed!) So while you may not love "Snow White," you should definitely give the film a look so you can appreciate all she's done for your preferred childhood animation.

These are just a few of the classic films that everyone should see, but I would HIGHLY encourage everyone to check them out sometime! You'll really be surprised by how cinema has evolved over the years, and you may find you appreciate older films more than you think you would!