7 Bits of Advice I’d Give to Students Who Want To Save

College costs the big bucks so we all need to save!

11
Abby Perez

Someone in college once told me, we're all kind of poor in college...and I felt that. And so THAT's why I felt why not write a listicle on some of my own personal advice on how to make your money (and your piece of mind) go along way. Whether some of us really need to or not, neither is bad and it's doesn't hurt to save a little!

1. Have a planner or additional organizational notebook.

It sounds odd due to our focus being specifically on finances; but as I say, you need to holistically have yourself together and all the specifics will follow & become easier. Seeing your external plans or events for school written down can help you plan out your needed expense and leisure money accordingly.

2. Bank on student discounts, student amazon prime, sharing services, etc.

I'm not sure if there's any other online delivery and buying service that helps out students who have a billion things going on like Amazon but I pray for more! A cool tip with that is to share dues for services just like amazon prime, Hulu/Spotify (premium Spotify with regular Hulu!) orNetflix—making things cheaper and very do-able as although there are service costs, it saves everyone money and time.

Keep an eye out for apps that help with discounts or help you earn perks for places you like or retailers near you: the app Pocket Point is a perfect example as you earn these points by not being on your phone (great motivation) towards percentages off restaurants and other stores. Don't be ashamed to use discounts, they're honestly so fun to use and they were made for us students!

3. Try to surround yourself with people who are easy to talk to or better communicators & understanders with money.

Look, I believe everyone is a good person (or has the capability to be.) So when I state that statement, I don't mean people who aren't as money-conscious can't be your friends or are not good people...some people just don't have to be so frugal or anally fiscal about their spendings, and God bless them, I'm glad (and jealous ha) for them!

But some people in college do have to "ball on a budget", which isn't bad either. My advice is to have those closest to you who can understand when you can or can't spend an extra buck. Whether they have more spending money or not, if they are easily communicated to, it makes so much easier for going out and such.

4. Try Knetbooks or Chegg for your books as they usually give you some additional goodies to try or coupons for different things!

Like the last one, make that money go a long way. I think the statement can stand for itself, but to give examples, I got some tide pods, many coupons on things like Shutterfly, and so much more with Chegg! For Knetbooks, I remember getting this cool highlighter that had a highlighting post-it tag dispenser IN IT (cool right?) Besides that, books are usually cheaper to rent (and buy) on these sites but Amazon books are great too!

5. Speaking of books, honestly wait for certain classes to see if you should or NEED to buy the books.

I'm not trying to come off as a cheapskate, but I'll admit I am with little shame. BUT to help you with figuring out IF you have to get certain books doesn't hurt, saves money for sure! However, if you're one who stresses out, I'd advise saving stress over money and get them while you can.

I also advise though that if you're playing the waiting game, don't wait past your first couple days, no later than your first week. Most likely you'll find your book somewhere even after class started, but if the estimated delivery to you is a bit long, become friends with your classmates and borrow the books to study when they are not or take pictures until you get your own book.

6. Buy those binders or those floppy binders that are like folders with binders rings and just buy packs of loose notebook paper.

Perhaps this may equal out with buying a few multi-subject notebooks or some cheap (but great) notebooks from your local Walmart or dollar store, but I find this a saver of stress and space. What I advise for taking notes is making binders into notebooks, that may if you forget to add certain notes, you can put a paper in between and add your notes! Those also may add to the costs but just get a simple three-whole puncher and you can save and add in your returned tests/quizzes/worksheets to your binder to where exactly they fit for the subject.

7. Last but at least an easier bit of advice: Get erase-able pens and highlighters.

We ALL make mistakes...this is why humans were blessed with the works of what can be erased. I say, they may be a tad bit more expensive but they save you a large sum of stress with writing, notes, and mistakes—I mean, haven't we all highlighted WAY past where we should have.

That's all my fellow students, may your wallets get fatter and minds stay intact this school year. Oh, and don't forget as you save and earn more, to (hopefully) help and give to those who may not be as lucky—good luck and much love!