68 Things All Incoming Freshmen Need To Know About College

You may have figured out where you will be going to school, but there is a lot you need to know before classes start.

819
Odyssey

The May first college decision deadline has come and gone. Now, many high school seniors across the country are getting ready to throw their caps in the air and have decided what college they will be attending in the Fall. This Summer will be spent making memories with friends and family and preparing for the freshman year of college. However, there are a few things you incoming freshman need to know before move in day and the first day of classes:

1. Yes, college is very different from high school (mostly in good ways).

2. No one cares about your list of high school accomplishments. Do not recite your high school resume when you meet the guys across the hall.

3. Naps will be your best friends (especially if you are taking 8 AM classes). Never be ashamed of taking a nap-- almost everyone does.

4. If a lot of people from your high school are attending the same college as you (or even just a few people), do not cling to them all the time. You all need to find your own group of friends.

5. Dining hall food gets old so fast. You will feel obligated to use your meal plan to its full potential but do not feel guilty about eating food in your room or going off campus for food sometimes. Sadly, you will just have to accept that your college is robbing you blind when it comes to meal plans.

6. Be careful about what you eat in the dining hall. If something seems off to you, do not eat it, because people do get sick from dining hall food all the time.

7. Also, try your best to eat healthy from the beginning of school. This can be challenging in college but the freshman fifteen is very real.

8. You CAN avoid the freshman fifteen though, if you try to eat well and stay somewhat active (I am living proof)!

9. You will be walking a lot more than you are used to. Make sure you have plenty of comfortable shoes for all seasons.

10. Invest in a good pair of rain boots, a sturdy umbrella, and a nice hooded rain coat. You WILL need all three of these items. When it's too windy to use your umbrella, you will be thankful for your hooded rain coat. Rain boots will become your best friend (they are also really cute, especially Hunters).

11. Avoid 8 AM classes if you can. Trust me. Even though you got up early in high school, it is just not the same in college.

12. Avoid Friday classes if you can too! Three day weekends are the absolute best things ever.

13. Being in class later in the day will feel odd at first. But, you get used to it.

14. Yes, classes are literally held all day long (until like eleven pm). You have to decide through your own experience if you like later classes or not. Just remember, sometimes you will not have a choice about when you have to take a certain class.

14. Taking back-to-back classes is not a good idea, especially if it's more than two in a row. You need a break in between classes.

15. Professors vary wildly. You will love some of them and absolutely despise others. Some will cancel class a few times a semester, some never will. Some (most) will not care if you are late, but some will. Some will swear, joke, laugh, sing, or just remain stone-faced during class. Some will always let you out of class early, and some never will.

16. Ratemyprofessor.com is your absolute best friend when picking classes. Always consult it before enrolling in a class. Always.

17. Your experiences with your classes will vary a lot because each individual professor has almost all the power in how they run their class. They all have a different grading system and way they structure the class that you will have to adjust to.

18. Yes, some professors do not take attendance. However, many do, and part of your grade in a lot of classes will be based on attendance.

19. Always try to go to class even if the professor does not take attendance. Even in that one class where you never do anything, the professor is probably keeping tabs on who shows up regularly even if you do not realize it. When you go to class frequently, you just do better.

20. It is so easy to get sick in college, especially if you are living in a dorm. You have to be really, really careful.

21. Always have hand sanitizer on you and use it before you eat. Colleges and dining halls are nasty places, do not forget this.

22. Get a humidifier for your room. Dorms are very dry and it will purify the air.

23. Some dorms are very cold and you need to be prepared for that. However, at my college, they are insanely hot during the Winter. Be prepared for both extremes.

24. Always have disinfecting wipes on hand and use them. Your phone, desk, laptop, and more are going to be full of germs, and you should wipe them off frequently to avoid getting sick.

25. If you can, bring a small vacuum to your dorm. It sounds like a pain, but you will need it.

26. You need to be prepared for the possibility that you will not like your roommate. No matter how nice they seem online or through text messages before move in day, remember, people can be very fake and deceitful. People also lie.

27. You could become good friends with your roommate, but do not get your hopes up. Things with your roommate could get worse than you ever could have imagined. However, no matter how bad things get, try not to let it affect your grades.

28. You could also be placed in a forced triple. Try and make the best of it.

29. The group of friends you make during the first few weeks of school will seem great, but be prepared to not be friends with them for the whole school year. People drift away and join new friend groups once they meet people in their classes, majors, or groups they become involved with on campus.

30. If you start dating someone, do not ever spend every waking moment with them and cut ties with your friends.

You will regret it when you have no one to hang out with when your boyfriend/girlfriend is not around for some reason, when you have no one to live with next year, when you have no one to hang out with over the Summer and breaks, and when the relationship ends and you have no one to turn to. You need good friends to turn to in college and to have fun with. You are so young, do not be completely tied down to someone right away and have no other good friends.

31. Beware of dating people on your floor or within the activities you are involved in on campus. When you break up, you will have to see them all the time.

32. If a large snow storm or other dangerous weather event is coming, stock up on food for your dorm room. You do not want to be walking to the dining hall in severe weather.

33. Check the weather and your school emails everyday before you get up. You do not want to get caught in a downpour without your rain gear or show up to class when it was cancelled.

34. Invest in a good laptop. You will use it all the time and you need it to be very reliable (I recommend a MacBook Pro).

35. If you can, bring a printer to your dorm. You will write papers at the last minute and trekking across campus to print can be an extremely time consuming task.

36. A microwave and small fridge are also things you should have in your dorm if you are allowed to. You will want to store leftovers and food from home in your fridge along with water bottles and snacks.

37. Whenever you go home on the weekends, bring food from home to your dorm. Trust me.

38. You may end up going home more than you think you will if your college is not that far away. Or, you may not want to go home a lot. Either situation is fine, just do what is best for you.

39. Always be on guard when it comes to security and safety and do not trust anyone with your valuables. This sounds like common sense but you really need to be careful in college.

40. Never walk alone at night and do not let your friends walk alone either.

If a friend is dropping you off at your dorm and you know they are going to have to park somewhere and walk by themselves afterwards, tell them you will go park with them and walk with them through the parking lot. It may be more inconvenient for you, but their safety is much more important.

41. Never go to a party alone or get separated from your friends. Keep a watchful eye on whatever you are drinking at a party as well.

42. Always have a designated driver if you are going to drink and have the Uber app downloaded and set up on your phone, even if you never intend to use it--just in case you ever get stuck in a situation where your designated driver starts drinking or you are left without a ride.

43. Have the doors and windows in your dorm locked at all times, no exceptions.

People will get lazy and comfortable as the school year goes on and may stop locking their doors: do not do this under any circumstances. Having to dig out your keys is better than having your stuff stolen. Trust me, do not get lazy when it comes to security, I know someone who had their laptop get stolen while they were taking a shower.

44. Have your keys and school ID on you at all times to avoid getting locked out.

Just commit to putting your keys and ID in the same place when you enter and exit your dorm and you will not get locked out. Do not get lazy and throw your keys on your desk when you enter your dorm. You could forget them and then you will be locked out. I just keep them in my bag at all times.

45. Always back up your documents to a program like Google Drive. You never know what could happen, technology can be fluky sometimes.

46. If you can have a car on campus, definitely bring it. Trust me.

47. If you do bring your car to campus, obviously keep it locked at all times and move it a few times a week. Keeping your car in the same spot for days on end is never a good idea because it will probably get scratched or banged up.

48. You are in college now. You need to grow up and be responsible.

You must take responsibility for your actions and not blame other people. Making other people feel horrible about your irresponsibility is an awful thing to do to a person. Do not blame your roommate when you get locked out. They were being responsible by locking the door. You were not by leaving your keys in the room. Do not leave your bag or wallet with other people when you go out and tell them to watch it while you go off and do something else-- you should have kept it with you. Be an adult and keep track of your own stuff. End of story.

49. If you are in the library or other place on campus alone, do not leave your laptop or phone unattended when you go to the bathroom or get food. Even if you will only be gone for two minutes, put your stuff in your bag and bring it with you.

50. Get involved on campus.

It looks good on your resume and it will make your college experience so much better. You may meet some of your best friends when you join organizations and groups that you are passionate about. Trust me on this one, this is how I met my amazing friends.

51. Yes, you will have more free time in college. You have to learn to manage your time well though. Try to structure and plan your days somewhat so that you get into a routine. Plan out time to eat in between classes and to do homework. Having a routine will make your life so much easier.

52. However, always be willing to stray from your routine a little bit if your friends need you or want to do something fun with you. This is college, you do not need to plan your life out minute-by-minute every single day.

53. If your parents are helping with tuition, it is your responsibility to give them the payment deadlines well in advance and financial aid deadlines as well.

54. People in dorms tend to stay up really late all the time. Do not get sucked into this all the time though, especially if you have early classes.

55. Do not ignore your parents. They have always been there for you and will be there for you after college ends. They are worried about you and want to know how you are doing. Remember, they only want the best for you and want to make sure that you are safe. So, answer their calls and texts.

56. Everyone gets homesick and it is okay. If you are close with your parents, the move to college will be more difficult for you. Like I said before, it is okay to go home for the weekend or meet up with them when you need to.

57. If you have pets, you will miss them immensely and it will be difficult because they do not understand why you're not home. You also can't really talk to them like you can with your parents and friends. This will be a difficult thing to deal with. Just try to be prepared for this.

58. You may not end up liking your college. It is okay to transfer if you think that is right for you. More people do this than you think.

59. Some of your friends may transfer after a year or a semester. Just be aware of this, it happens more than you think.

60. As soon as the course catalog is released for the following semester, devote some serious time to planning out your schedule.

This is an involved process where you should be following the requirements for your major, hopefully following a road map of some sort to your degree, checking ratemyprofessor.com, and asking trusted friends for advice and recommendations on classes and professors.

61. Go to your advisor for advice on what classes to take as well. If you are required to meet with your advisor before picking classes, do it as early as possible.

62. Try not to drop classes unless you absolutely have to. Classes fill up quickly and it will be difficult to replace the class with a better one. If you do not take enough classes every semester, you will be in danger of not graduating on time.

63. Register for classes as soon as you possibly can. Trying to register even five minutes later than you should have could cost you a seat in a class that you need.

64. If you can, bring a TV to your dorm, especially if you are a sports fan.

Trust me on this, watching Netflix on your laptop is great but when you have to miss your favorite team play, you will be mad. Do not rely on the TV in the common room (I never even went in there because one group of people dominated it and I did not really like them).

65. Bring your own hand soap to your dorm if you are living in a suite where you only have to share the bathroom with a few other people.

66. Be yourself. Do not try to be someone you are not because you will always end up unhappy if you do this. You will make the wrong friends and have superficial relationships if you pretend to be someone you are not.

67. Get involved in what interests you and in what you want to do.

Thinking about joining Greek Life? Try it. Want to write for the school paper? Try it. Want to be in the feminism club? Just go for it no matter what anyone else thinks. Pursue everything that you want to because you do not want to have regrets. Remember, if you do not like something, you do not have to join it or you can leave.

68. Try not to wish the days away.

No matter how badly you want to start college, enjoy your Summer because you will probably miss it a lot in a few months. Even if school is really overwhelming and you just cannot wait for Winter break and Summer, try to enjoy your time in school with your friends because you will miss them a lot when you go back home. Just try to make the most of everyday and be thankful to have the opportunity to be in college.