6 Ways 'OITNB' Nailed Season 4

6 Ways 'OITNB' Nailed Season 4

The show runners continue to address issues that matter.

33
6 Ways 'OITNB' Nailed Season 4
pride.com

The fourth season of Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” debuted on June 17. After the excitement from the previous season’s finale, I knew that there would be a lot to look forward to and I couldn’t wait to catch up on the lives of the women in Litchfield Penitentiary and learn about the back stories of those whose lives were not yet explored in great detail. Overall, I consider season four of “OITNB” to be successful, not only in its humor and heart, but also because of its focus on issues that are seldom, if ever, addressed on regular television. Here are some ways that the most recent season discussed prevalent social issues.

1. “You’re a straight, white man. You don’t get to be the victim.” – Judy King

Judy King, who is portrayed by Blair Brown, is new to Litchfield in season four and is easily one of the most problematic characters on the show. She is imprisoned for tax evasion. King is older than most of the women in the prison, and her age actively contributes to her ignorance of the world, as well as the racist remarks that she makes to several other inmates. However, in one scene with the Litchfield electrician, Joel Luschek (Matt Peters), she says the aforementioned line to him, effectively calling out his privilege in both the prison and the world, and for once, hits the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, she oftentimes misses the mark on comprehending her own privilege and how her race and class enable her to maintain her celebrity status within the prison.

2. They addressed the reality that many white people do not understanding the “Black Lives Matter” Movement.

One of the most aggravating parts of the new season is the influx of new inmates and with them come several key characters who are on a whole new level of disgraceful. BLM was always an integral part of the show from the moment Piper Chapman, a 31-year-old white woman from an upper middle-class family, walked into Litchfield and the prison, as well as the experiences of the women in different minority groups, was viewed primarily through her eyes. Chapman was ignorant to the power hierarchy that gave her certain privileges then, and she still is when she uses her education to speak in a way that she thinks enables her to avoid being racist, but still promotes stereotypes and racism. Her words ultimately backfire when she unknowingly forms a group of white supremacists. Scenes include inmates yelling, “White lives matter!” and “All lives matter!” while also referring to minority groups using derogatory language. These scenes depict that the missing link is lived experience when white people fail to understand why BLM is about promoting the value of black lives, not diminishing the value of other lives.

3. It is acknowledged that many people ignore the systemic structure that enables the disproportionate racial populations in prisons.

Racism and inequality are featured heavily in “OITNB” and rightfully so. The rate that people of color, particularly black men, are incarcerated comparatively to white people shines a glaring spotlight on the disproportionate racial demographic in prisons. As of 2013, the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that “the imprisonment rate for black females (113 per 100,000) was twice the rate of white females (51 per 100,000).” Racism is shown in different ways throughout the season, but one significant way is through the random pat-downs that inmates undergo. While the inmates who are part of the minority races are searched for contraband, the white inmates are generally told to keep moving, highlighting not only individual racism, but also a larger, unheard societal issue.

4. You can think that you care about all people, but still be a racist person.

By the end of season four, Judy King finally seems to realize that even if you try to care about all people, it is possible to be unaware of your own racist mindset. Simply because people are ignorant of the harm in their statements or assumptions that they make does not mean that their words are not harmful to those they are intentionally or unintentionally directed at. There are a lot of inmates in the latest season who are explicitly racist and wear their racism like a badge of honor. However, I am glad to see that “OITNB” shows that racism can be inadvertent, but not any less harmful.

5. Those with the power to make others submissive based on ascriptive qualities perpetuate the cycle of privilege.

Power breeds privilege for those who possess it and the guards at Litchfield exercise their power over the inmates constantly. Although the power to control the inmates is required and necessary, their implementation of brutal force on specific inmates is derived from a deeper issue. Alongside with targeting certain inmates based on their race, many of the guards also exercise their power as men to physically overwhelm and overpower the female inmates. In cases such as episode 12, we see one of the inmates asphyxiated, similarly to the real life death of Eric Garner. Like in Garner’s situation, the reaction that the guard expresses to the inmate is not equal to the cause. The character in question cannot weigh much more than 100-lbs. if that, so to press down upon her and then to not acquiesce when it becomes clear that she is no longer resisting is a gross overreaction.

6. You can want to do the right thing and still not have a clue.

Throughout the seasons, we’ve watched as Joe Caputo, Litchfield’s Director of Human Activities, tries to run the prison and find the funds to ensure safe and productive conditions for the inmates despite corporate managers breathing down his neck. Caputo is the true embodiment of someone who is an empty suit. He does not have the skill set required to run Litchfield like he thought that he did and everyone pays the price for it when he doesn’t have the backbone to stand up against the corporation now in charge of Litchfield that allocates prison funds toward projects that don’t serve any true purpose.

The purpose of “OITNB” from the beginning was to give a voice to people who aren’t represented in mainstream media. They were able to do so by making Piper Chapman appear to be the central character until they could eventually set her aside and focus on the stories that are seldom told. By continuing to tackle the difficult and unheard topics in its most recent season, I consider season four to be one of the best seasons that the show has delivered thus far.