6 Ways How I Met Your Mother Could Have (And Probably Should Have) Ended

Literally almost any ending would have been better.

86
deadline.com

Almost four years ago, the series finale of How I Met Your Mother aired on CBS.

After waiting for nine seasons to watch Ted Mosby finally meet the mother of his children, fans were met with the revelation that the titular mother was no longer living and 2030 Ted ultimately reunited with his on-again/off-again girlfriend Robin Scherbatsky. Many viewers were devastated, and even angry, with the outcome, as the show had spent its final season introducing us to The Mother and proving that she was, in fact, Ted's soulmate.

The finale also showed Robin and Barney getting divorced after three years of marriage, devastating shippers everywhere. Almost any ending would have been better than what actually happened, but here are six alternate endings that would have actually satisfied the fanbase.

1. Happily Ever After.

Couldn't they have just had The Mother walk in at the end and show that the Mosby family lived happily ever after? Of course not. It's TV.

2. It was all a dream.

What if the show had ended with Ted once again waking up to the Mysterious Pineapple, only to discover that everything after that episode had all been a dream? At least that would mean all the Robin drama never happened.

3. MacLaren's Pub goes down in flames.

A fire destroying the gang's beloved hangout would be a tragedy, but at least it would bring them all back together.

4. Robyn, Lily, and Tracey (The Mother) all give birth.

Births of babies are huge events for sitcom finales. Why not make it a triple whammy?

5. The gang buys out MacLaren's Pub.

What if Barney's dream of running a bar finally came true?

6. Robin was The Mother all along.

While it was established in the pilot episode that Robyn was indeed not the mother of Ted's children, this show had so many continuity issues that this twist ending wouldn't be a huge stretch. Plus, it would appease all the Ted & Robin shippers out there.