6 Tips For Making A New College Relationship Work

Advice on how to maintain a good relationship in the midst of the craziness of college life

390

“Aren’t you worried about going into college with a boyfriend?” My friend asked me this a few months ago, genuinely concerned when I told her about this amazing new guy I started dating.

In high school, relationships always had this sort of cloud hovering over them, knowing that eventually, college would come. If you and your partner chose to go to different schools you would have to make a choice about whether you wanted to try long distance. And even if you decided to try it, there is virtually no chance that it would be easy.

But my situation was different. I started dating a guy I met at freshman orientation at the beginning of June, and thus we would definitely be going to the same school. So, we automatically had it easier than many couples who were going to different colleges and were going to be experiencing college life for the first time while separated.

That doesn’t mean that transitioning from a summer relationship to a college one was easy. Our relationship turned into one that is often crowded with school, homework, and different class and extracurricular schedules.

Here is some of my advice for college students looking to start a relationship that I think has helped my boyfriend and I grow closer than ever, instead of drifting apart, despite different responsibilities sometimes getting in the way:

1. COMMUNICATE

This is by far the biggest one and was one of the most difficult for me to get used to. Never having been in a serious relationship before, and always being someone to keep her problems to herself, it was hard for me to adjust to voicing my concerns to my boyfriend out of fear of ruining what we had or coming across as “over-emotional” or “dramatic."

Quickly I learned that 1) I can’t hide my feelings from him, and he can always sense when something is up and 2) it is always, always better to voice your concerns and work together to problem-solve instead of quietly dwelling on them yourself. Communicating is especially important in college when the two of you are thrown into a bunch of new situations surrounding partying, drinking, hook-up culture, being swarmed with homework, etc.

2. Study together

Probably one of the biggest obstacles you’ll face is trying to find time for each other during the school week. I’ve found that when my boyfriend and I go to the library together and work on homework, I’m actually more productive than I am when I work alone, and we can spend time together without stressing out about schoolwork.

3. Find time to talk

Going off of #1, it is really important to find time to touch base at least once a week and just make sure everything is all good between you two. Leave a party a little early, meet up after classes end for the day, just find a quiet moment to allow each other the opportunity to voice anything you've been wanting to talk about.

4. Talk about limits, boundaries, insecurities, all of that hard-to-talk-about stuff

You and your partner will have a lot easier time avoiding unwanted conflict if you’re both aware of what makes the other uncomfortable. Make sure he/she knows your boundaries/anxieties when it comes to all aspects of college life: parties, drugs, sex, etc.

5. Experience new things together

One of the amazing things about being in college is there is so much to do. There's so much to see and experience, and it will make it all the better if you can do it with your partner by your side. Explore your college town together, try a new restaurant off-campus, go find the hidden gems on-campus (there’s a rooftop garden on top of one of the buildings on my college campus, and yes, it is as romantic as it sounds).

6. Have at least one close friend you trust who you can talk to if you’re dealing with any problems in the relationship

For me, that’s my roommate, and there are definitely times when I’m upset, confused or conflicted. Coming back to the room and venting to her and getting her advice is beyond vital to my sanity. Also, it’s good to have friends and not make your life revolve solely around your significant other so you don’t feel lost without them.

Being in a college relationship can be extremely liberating and absolutely wonderful (Um, being a ten-minute walk or a two-minute bus ride from the person you love? Yes, please!!), as long as you both put in the time and effort to make sure you’re on the same page. It’s as easy as just talking and listening to each other and always being willing to problem-solve together. If you care enough about each other to do that, then you get to experience all the amazing aspects of college alongside the person you care about the most, and that’s pretty awesome.