6 Tips to Make Your Traveling More Pleasant

Don't hold up the line.

7
unsplash

So, let's face the music here: nobody likes flying. If you fly a lot (like me!) you've learned a few tips and tricks to make the flying experience not as dreadful. Since this time last year, I've flown 17 times. I've gone through different airlines, different airports, and every TSA agent known to man. To make your travel more enjoyable, try these few things that might lessen the burden.

1. Fly Southwest

Everyone has their personal favorite airline, but in the past year I have managed to fly through a LOT of airlines and I'm always disappointed with every single one except Southwest. Here are some benefits of flying Southwest that you may not know:

1. Earlybird Checkin- Earlybird allows a computer to check you in to your flight so you get better seating

2. Open seating- You no longer have to pay more to sit in that weird aisle that you like so much. As long as you pay for Earlybird, you're in the clear to get basically whatever seat you want.

3. Organized boarding- No longer will you be standing in a clump fighting your way to get that overhead bin space. Southwest gives you a boarding number (A-C 1-60) and you line up and board accordingly.

4. Upgrading your seat- for $40 after you've forgotten your Earlybird and checked in a little later than you would've liked, you can upgrade to boarding positions A 1-15.

5. Two free bags- Not one, but TWO free bags under 50 pounds are yours with your already cheap ticket. No baggage fees. No problem.

2. Don't take early flights

Early flights are the worst, especially when you have to show up to the airport at 3 a.m. to catch it. (Many kiosks don't even open for you to check your bags until about 4 a.m. anyway.) It's even worst on the other end having to pick someone up at the crack of dawn at the airport. Just save everyone the hassle and fly at noon.

3. Ditch the roller bag

Roller bags aren't worth it for so many reasons. If you're running late to your flight, you have to pick up the bag anyway to power walk to your gate. A lot of them don't fit in overhead bins and will have to be checked at the gate, especially if you're on a regional flight which has a smaller plane. You can't really get anything you need out of it on the plane, so what's the point of having a roller bag as a carryon?

4. Get TSA Precheck

This is ONLY if you fly a lot, but it's worth the cost to go in and meet with a TSA agent and have a background check done on you to have Precheck. You'll get through security every time in approximately 5-7 minutes. You don't have to take your laptop out of your bag or take your shoes off. Your don't have to deal with people who don't know how to travel and never do anything right in airports. It's just worth it.

5. Just have your laptop out and your shoes off.

Speaking of people who don't know how to travel and never do anything right in airports, don't be that person. If you're in the regular security line, you've had probably about 15 minutes after getting your boarding pass and ID checked to wait in line. That's plenty of time to pull out your laptop and slide your shoes off. That way you're ready to go when it's your turn to grab a bin.

(Bonus: Birkenstocks set off the TSA metal detectors!)

6. Say 'excuse me'

Don't get frustrated walking behind some slow person and then tell your family about how awful an experience it was when you got home. A simple 'excuse me' is effective on 90% of people in airports. No one actually wants to be in your way!

Trying out these six tips may just make your airport experience a little bit more tolerable.