1) Don’t waste your suitcase bringing things like laundry detergent, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. If you’re very particular about the brands of your cosmetics then you might want to bring your own full sized ones, but otherwise don’t bother. You can buy very similar, and even some of the same, products for a deal Ireland if you buy at the right places (see below). Just pack travel sizes of these things so you have enough for the first week or so when you’re jet lagged and don’t know the area yet.

2) And leave room in your suitcase… Just trust me, you’ll need it regardless of how much you buy.

3) Consider when you want to do the touristy things.

If your family or friends are coming to visit, they will probably want to go to the Guinness Storehouse and/or the Cliffs of Moher. If you fancy doing these types of things twice, then by all means do! But you might want to save them when you have visitors (and if those visitors are your parents they might pay so you can save!)

3) Make a budget. Although not the most expensive city there is, Dublin is still pretty pricey. You’ll probably spend more than you think, so just make sure you make yourself a realistic, flexible budget and try to follow it as best as you can so you’re not held back by opportunities because of money.

4) EuroGiant, Dealz, Lidl, Aldi, and Guineys are your best friends for cheap belongings and groceries. And if you’re looking for cheap clothes Penney’s is great, and there a ton of second hand charity shops in the city (that usually also sell second-hand books as well!).

5) If you’re American be prepared for people to ask you about Donald Trump. America is one of the most powerful countries in the world, so everyone is affected by our politics whether they like it or not, and small countries like Ireland are extremely affected by American politics. Also American media is SO dominate in many countries and cultures, especially ones like Ireland since we have the English language in common.

6) Literally be as open as possible and say yes to as much as you can. This is the time to step out of your comfort zone. You will only be there for a few months, which go by really quick, so you want to make the most of it. Do as much as possible, and try things you wouldn’t try back home!