6‌ ‌Tips‌ ‌for‌ ‌Student‌ ‌Travel‌ ‌in‌ ‌Europe‌ ‌

Planning and budgeting make up most of what you need to prepare before and during your trip to Europe

5573

Let us guess: as students, you don't have a ton of money in your saving account, nor do you have a lot of time. But with final exams over and you being left in limbo, not knowing whether you passed your classes or not, what can you do to make the time go by? Well, how about a trip to Europe?

A Trip to Europe? Isn't That Expensive?

Yes, they are if you don't do the proper planning ahead of time.

Including airfare, accommodation, and sightseeing, you're looking at spending around $2,500 of your own money or, God forbid, student loans on a two-week trip to the Old Continent. However, with proper planning, and good budgeting and social skills, you could slash your travel costs by half or more.

Traveling to Europe Without Breaking the Bank: 6 Tips for Students Before and During Their Euro Trip

Planning and budgeting make up most of what you need to prepare before and during your trip to Europe. Below, we'll quickly go over six helpful tips for students to make the most of their vacation without going broke(r).

Tip # – Know Your Budget

While planning your trip, make sure you know how much you have and how much you're willing to part with. The final dollar amount will indicate where you can go, how you can get there, and what you can do. If you don't have enough to splurge on everything you want, then consider postponing your trip. Yeah, it hurts, but it'll hurt a lot more when you're in Europe and can't even buy a Belgian waffle from a street vendor.

Tip # – Make Use of Ahead-of-Time Discounts

We're using the phrase ahead-of-time discounts to mean booking anything you can far in advance to reap tremendous discounts. The longer the wait between your booking date and your flight or check-in dates, the less you'll end up spending.

Bonus Tip: When booking airplane tickers or hotel rooms online, turn on incognito mode in your browser. You can thank us later.

Tip #1 – Consider Passing Through the Road Less Traveled

Wouldn't it be nice if you could visit Munich, London, and Paris all in one trip? It'd be nice if you can afford it, but even during the off-season, you might have to work your butt off to pay for both airfare and lodging.

We're not saying you shouldn't visit touristy hot spots per se, but if you want to save a bit of money on your trip, then consider passing through the road less traveled. While nobody speaks much of them, there are lots of things to do in Barmouth, Cuenca, Ohrid, Vipava Valley, and many other low-key gems in Europe.

Tip #2 – Screw Uber and Taxi EU—Stick to Buses and Trains

Uber, Taxi EU, LeCab, Cabify, Ola, etc., etc., etc. While they're super-convenient for getting around town, they're costly as heck. If you're going to go to Europe, stick to using public transport. Buses and trains cost close to nothing and can take you virtually anywhere you want to go.

Bonus Tip: Learn a few key travel phrases in the local language, like learning to ask for directions (and understanding answers).

Tip #3 – See Whether Couch-Surfing Is a Viable Option

The internet is a vital part of travel, not just for booking flights and rooms but also for getting in touch with people halfway across the globe. There are numerous communities in Europe and Asia that don't mind fellow students crashing on their couch for a week or two. Plus, it's a good way to make friends! Just leave a few bucks for their troubles—it's really the least you can do.

Tip #4 – Make Use of Student Discounts

Believe it or not, international students, even ones that don't attend universities in Europe, can enjoy student bonuses. Reach out to a travel agency and see what sort of places offer discounts for students.

Bonus Tip: If you're traveling in a group (which you should probably be doing), consider calling yourselves a "family" to reap family discounts in certain attractions.

Tip #5 – Spend Coins Before Paper Bills

When you come back from your trip, you're going to have a difficult time converting coins into dollar bills. If you have a pocket full of spare change, convert them into banknotes before returning to your country. Money exchangers never take coins for a multitude of reasons, so do yourself a favor and spend your coins before your paper bills.

Tip #6 – Want to Make Money Abroad? Teach English

This tip isn't for everyone, especially if you're in traveling solely to enjoy the sights. But if you ever find yourself low on cash, consider teaching English during your brief stay to make a few extra bucks. You'd be surprised just how many families in Europe adopt international students for a brief period, as long as they teach their children basic English.

Final Thoughts

So, should you save up more than $3,000 before going to Europe? Probably, especially if you want to enjoy your vacation with as little stress as possible. However, with adequate planning, budgeting, and social skills, you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding around the continent with what little money you may have.