6 Things To Do When Adulting is Overwhelming

Because we all know it does sometimes.

145
Derek Quessenberry

"Adulting", as we pesky millennials like to call it, can be scary. No, scratch that, it can be terrifying. Sometimes, it feels like there's no escape for the dooming adulthood that we find ourselves in. But let's step back and look at this realistically: there are always opportunities to be a kid again.

1. Watch a kid’s movie

I am completely aware that most Disney movies that we all grew up with and loved have been revealed to have “hidden meanings” that have ruined our childhood, so I don’t recommend this for tuning in with your inner child. Instead, stick with Pixar. They put the adult jokes out there pretty blatantly in sarcastic, small comments while still maintaining the integrity of a good kid’s movie (I’m watching Chicken Little as I type this).

2. Play dress-up

Even though it’s completely childish (we’re one step away from a tea party with our dads here) BUT there’s a reason it was such a hit with us kids when we were little! It’s fun! You dress up like a princess, use your imagination, and suddenly you’re not a millennial post-grad working at Starbucks anymore, but you’re running your own country! Good stuff!

3. Text, Snapchat, or Facebook message a childhood friend

Sometimes it’s good to get the wake-up call that even though you spent your days playing tag and running on the playground, there comes a time to grow up & face the music. I love talking to friends who I was only close with during age10-13 because no matter what they’re doing with their lives, they have come a long way since that particular age (I also politely suggest contacting camp friends, pen pals, or long distance friends. Contacting home-town friends who are still in your hometown can lead to nothing but updates on the place you specifically didn’t enjoy being).

4. Call your Mom

I always like to say that there’s never a problem in my life that my mom can’t give me a few wise words about. When you’re feeling particularly needy, call your mom, fork up a small cough, then groggily say, “I think I have a cold. Any suggestions?” If your mom is anything like mine, she’ll sweetly tell you to get under your covers with some Vicks Vapor Rub and treat yourself until you get better. That small “baby voice” can sometimes remedy my mood completely. It’s nice to be reminded that your mom will never be upset if you’re feeling down, and she’ll never fail to make you feel like yourself again.

5. Retreat to your bed and don’t contact anyone for 48 hours

I don’t highly suggest this because the other choices would only take a couple hours out of your life, and this would take 48. There’s a small difference. BUT when all else fails and you need to have a good old fashioned breakdown, have it in the comfort of your bed with some ice cream (or wine). You’re completely entitled to not have your shit together all of the time.

6. They’re still There

No matter how mean the world seems at times, just remember that your inner child still rests in your soul. It sounds cheesy – but it’s true. Sometimes it may feel like they’re hiding, but honestly, many of us keep them on a tight leash. So let them out, no matter where you are. Play in the mud, play in the rain, dance, sing the Disney songs at the top of your lungs (we can’t deny how good the Disney music is), and let yourself have some immature, unadulterated fun every now and then.