6 Things To Expect In A Long Distance Friendship

Your best friend that may have lived ten minutes from you now lives six or seven hours away.

43

Remember the times when you could hop on your bike or in your car and be at your best friends house in five minutes? Or all of the summer nights that you spent together staying up until three in the morning? The times that you both laughed so hard you almost peed your pants? Well, things might be different now. Your best friend that may have lived ten minutes from you now lives six or seven hours away. They might have moved to a new town, started going to college, or started a new job. Whatever it may be, it can be difficult to adjust to the distance that was put between the two of you. With that in mind, it's important to remember a few crucial things that might remain the same and that might change between you and your best friend.

1. They're going to make new friends

It may suck knowing that you won't be with your best friend to make new memories all the time, but they're going to make new friends regardless. Although it may feel like you're being replaced at times, if your best friend truly cares about you, they will make an effort to stay in your life.

2. You're going to talk more or less than before

College students and working people can be extremely busy people. Don't feel overly offended if your best friend can't FaceTime you, because chances are that they're simply busy! Set aside a specific time that's good for you and your best friend to talk and catch up.

3. You're going to miss them... a lot

I miss my best friend more and more everyday, and that is completely normal. It's hard when you used to be so close, but now you only get to see them during a holiday break. If you're missing them, send them a text or try to call them! Let them know that you're missing them, because I'm sure they're missing you just as much, if not more.

4. You'll learn to appreciate the time you get to spend together

After spending so much time apart, you will really come to appreciate the time you will get to spend together. You'll probably start planning for the next time you'll hang out months in advance because you're so excited at the thought of seeing them!

5. You might get jealous of your best friends new friends

Sure, you'll probably accept the fact that they've made new friends, but expect to feel a little jab of jealousy. It's completely normal, but it could happen to you, so just be prepared.

6. They will always hold a piece of you in their heart

No matter what challenges your friendship may face, you will most likely have your best friend to lean on when you need them most. Whether you stay best friends or not depends on the effort put into the friendship, but if you both truly care about each other then it should almost feel effortless. You will always share the memories you've made, and you share a bond that no one else is going to understand. Your mutual weirdness is what brings you together, and the tears you've cried together will only bring you closer to each other.