6 Things I Learned After Going To College

Being an adult isn’t as easy as I had imagined.

1053

When I was a senior in high school, I thought I was ready for the world. I couldn’t wait to move into dorms and start an independent life, and it seemed like most of my classmates felt the same way. After college started, time seemed to speed up.

I learned that I was naive as a senior in high school, and that there was more to adulthood than I had dreamed of. After almost two years in college, here are some things I’ve learned.

1. Friendships are hard to maintain

In high school, you see your friends every day in class, so there was never any problems with different schedules clashing. Now, with everyone scattered around the country (and even the world), different time zones, class schedules, and new friends prevent you and your friends from checking up on each other every day. Some friendships will fade, so try your best to maintain the ones you care about.

2. Groceries are expensive

You’ll realize that having instant ramen for dinner every day is not a feasible way to live. Eating mac and cheese every day isn’t either. At home, your parents did all the grocery shopping, so you never had to think about paying for anything of nutritional value.

Now, you have to spend $150 a month just to feed yourself and everything just becomes a struggle. Here’s some advice: As unwilling as you are to buy foods you hate like kale and bell peppers, buy them. Your body will thank you in the long run.

3. Student discounts are lifesaving

A lot of stores offer student discounts. A lot. From discounted Spotify premium to discounts off your favorite apparel stores, stores know that us most of us college students are broke. Before you buy anything from any store, check online to see if they have student discounts first.

ASOS and Topshop offer 10% student discounts at all times, while Spotify offers a special premium rate for students.

4. The world is much bigger than your school

In high school, if you didn’t join any clubs or do any sports, there weren’t many opportunities to make friends anywhere else. In college, not being part of an organization on campus is no big deal.

There are so many more ways to get to know someone in college, because you now have free time after class to get to know the people who live in your dorm or attend the same events as you do - although with hundreds of clubs of all types, you’re bound to find a club that you enjoy.

5. Time passes by quickly

Less than two years have passed since I graduated high school, but some of my former classmates are already getting engaged and married. There will be so many things to do once you’re independent in college that there won’t be enough time to do everything. Deadlines approach quicker than they should, and semesters pass by in the blink of an eye.

6. Parents are cool

Remember in middle school when you used to make your parents drop you off at the end of the block of a movie theater so you could walk up to your friends looking “cool”? After getting to college, you start to realize all the effort your parents put in to make sure you had a good childhood and good upbringing, and honestly, they’re cool people.

And they probably miss you. So call them every once in a while to let them know what you’re up to - they deserve that after putting up with you for 18 years.