6 Reasons Why Camping Is Totally Underrated

Try it this weekend

34
Unsplash

When we think of travel, some imagine sipping on a cocktail in an infinity pool in Bali. Others are more of the #vanlife type and can't wait to road trip from Colorado to Cali in their ultra-personalized cozy vehicle. I wonder though, why do we always forget camping?

I'm giving you 6 reasons why camping is totally underrated and why you should try it this weekend.

1. You don't have to go far to have an epic trip

Contrary to what you may think, you don't have to go all the way to Europe or Southeast Asia to have a great vacation. You can do it at the nearest campground. Just pack your bag and go.

When I lived in Boston, I used to spend lots of my weekends in New Hampshire, an hour drive up north, breathing fresh air and taking in the scent of spring in the air. It required very little prep time and work. Forget the busy airport, hop in your car or on a bus and head to the mountains.

Image by: Unsplash

2. Camping doesn't require much

Every time I pack to go on a trip to New York or London, it's a nightmare.

There are so many things to do, so many places to see, and perhaps the worst of all - you have to be styled and dressed up for all of it. This requires at least 4 changes of clothes, shoes, watches, jewelry, and God knows what else - just for a weekend.

Camping is the total opposite. It requires the just bare necessities, pretty much a flashlight, pocket knife, water bottle, sleeping bag and cooking utensils, so no need to pack anything fancy.

If you're looking to save even more space and effort, you can go for a hammock tent, which is exactly what it sounds like - an ingenious invention you can sleep and find shelter in. Plus, and this is my favorite part, it's bug-proof.

3. It teaches us survival skills

When was the last time you had to start your own fire and cook your own raw meat and vegetables without the help of electricity? Can't remember? Yeah, didn't think so.

Camping is a great survival experience. It not only does it teach us how to use our bare hands (well, mostly) to start a fire, but it also forces us to deal with the forces of nature and find our way in the woods with a compass when our phones don't have signal.

We learn some pretty cool tricks as well, like how to make our own speakers to get the party going or successfully use Doritos as tinder.

4. Camping helps us reconnect with nature

I recently saw a series of photographs of people doing everyday things in nature, which looked super weird and out of place. The author aimed to show how alienated we've become from our natural environment, and it really got to me.

I went camping immediately after, and made it a goal to spend more time outside. Spending time in nature has a ton of benefits, like reducing anxiety, stimulating creativity and boosting healthy appetite. Camping is the ultimate way to do all of this comfortably and with no rush.

Image by: Unsplash

5. It will keep you get in great shape

Camping is quite physical, from setting up your tent to cooking and gathering wood, so you'll totally work up an appetite.

Walking and hiking through the trees or by the lake is a great workout, and most of all, it doesn't feel like one, so it's fun.

The biggest plus to me is that I disconnect from technology while I'm camping and walk around instead. This is a great way to connect with your thoughts, get a perspective on life or just empty your head.

6. Camping can be really cheap

If you like me always look for deals on airfare and trains, chances are you've got at least a dozen tabs open in your browser, trying to figure out a way to save a few bucks. No need to do that with camping.

Since you don't have to go too far to camp, you can just hop in a car with a few friends and drive to the nearest woods with suitable camping ground. No planes needed.

Instead of lining up at the airport this weekend, grab your backpack, a couple of friends and go chill in nature.