6 Reasons Why Viola Davis Is The Queen

6 Reasons Why Viola Davis Is The Queen

How to get away with being the Q-U-E-E-N.

172
6 Reasons Why Viola Davis Is The Queen

If you haven’t seen or at least heard Viola Davis’ acceptance speech at the Emmys this past Sunday, you either A) didn’t watch or B) you live under a complete rock. Even though Viola has been around for years, it seems like she’s just now getting the recognition she deserves from Hollywood. With her new show "How To Get Away With Murder," she has absolutely struck TV gold, landing herself the lead role and also a spot on The Wild Ride to Shondaland. Yet, there are STILL people who aren’t that aware of the 50-year-old actress and why she’s the new reigning queen of… well… everything. So if you’re one of those people and need a few reasons as to why she is, you should pay attention to the seasoned actress—and here’s your guide.

1. Her acting.

/

Let's face it, her acting chops are KILLER. She attended the Juilliard School, if that gives you any indication. With films like "Doubt," "The Help" and her numerous other credits, her acting has the ability to give you major goosebumps, make you cry or make you feel personally victimized, as if she was scolding you right then and there (ahem, Annalise Keating).

2. Her honesty.

You really think she has time for the haters? DROP THAT TRUTH TEA, QUEEN V.

3. This iconic scene.

THIS. SCENE. CHANGED. TELEVISION. Why, you ask? Not only was this scene amazing for the sheer emotion of it, but it spoke to African American women in Hollywood and those who are "normal" people. As a black young adult woman, I know the stigma that comes with not being made up 100 percent of the time, along with the expectations of always having your clothes right and your hair done. The Black women that you see on TV are almost always made up to perfection... until this time. It was Viola's idea to remove her make-up and take off her wig to show her natural hair in the scene. When she did, it made headlines everywhere. Something so simple made such an impact on the African American community, because it shed light on the low-key stigma and the shock that comes with completely taking off the mask a lot of us have to wear as black women.

4. Her dance moves.

Let's all just take a moment to bask in our Queen's dancing. #bowdown

5. Annalise Keating.

Honestly, this whole article could've been an ode to Viola's portrayal of Annalise Keating on "How To Get Away With Murder," but I held myself back. If we didn't have Viola portraying Annalise, who else could've pulled off this majorly complex sass master of a lawyer? NO ONE.

6. Her Emmy acceptance speech.

When I tell you that this speech was everything, I mean it. She spoke with eloquence, yet with complete honesty about the struggles that black women go through in the industry. It's a known fact that women of color don't get enough roles in Hollywood, seeing as they're seen as only being good to play a sex worker, stripper or someone who is of a lower class and stature. Viola made it KNOWN that women of color aren't inferior, and that the reason why they don't have opportunities isn't because of a lack of talent. No. It's because of the lack of opportunities, and whether people knew that or not before this speech, Viola made it crystal clear.

That's why her role in "How To Get Away With Murder" is so important. It's why she, herself, is so important. She's showing people that a 50-year-old black woman who isn't of the typical beauty standards in Hollywood can lead a show as a lawyer who is sophisticated and most importantly, isn't a product of the stereotype.

So, thank you, Ms. Davis, for being so unapologetically you, for staying honest, giving us some great TV and for breaking the stereotype all while remaining a class act. You truly are the well deserving Queen.