6 Reasons 'How I Met Your Mother' is More Than Just A Sitcom

Laughing is fun, but have you ever cried tears of happiness?

43
6 Reasons 'How I Met Your Mother' is More Than Just  A Sitcom

How I Met Your Mother is a pretty awesome show. I’ll be completely honest, I totally judged it and anyone who watched it before I had ever actually seen an episode. Some of my family members have seen all of the seasons as many as five or six times over (I’m not that obsessed, I’ve only seen the whole series three times). You can bet your bottom dollar I’m watching HIMYM right now (S8:E5). If you haven’t seen the show, youu son of a beech; but if you have then you know how legendary it is. If for some reason you’re confused as to what all the huff is about, I will happily tell you some of my reasons for loving this funny-yet-heartwarming series.

1. Romantics everywhere understand Ted’s woes

As a natural romantic, I totally get why Ted tries so hard to find “the One”. And while it’s frustrating to see all the failed relationships, there’s always that little spark of hope. His ambitious attitude to find love is melt-worthy and admirable.

2. Lily and Marshall

I mean…they are so perfect I have a hard time deciding if Pam and Jim from The Office are cuter or not. That’s a pretty serious comparison. I’m not going to give any spoilers, but throughout the series you get to see some real-life struggles most relationships deal with and everyone openly roots for Lily-pad and Marshmallow.

3. Robin’s success

Robin Scherbatsky doesn’t always know what she wants when it comes to love, but she knows she wants to travel and tell the news to the world. She is very independent but acknowledges and values the importance her friends have in her life. She is confident, ambitious, and intelligent. It is a very feminist element to the show that is uplifting for any viewer. Also she's Canadian, what's not to love about that?

4. Barney Stinson

For the longest time I really didn’t like Barney. I thought he was annoying and disrespectful to women everywhere. However, as shallow as he may initially seem, he is incredibly loyal to his friends, hurts when they hurt, and has shown to be more complex than his playboy façade lets on. He also happens to be the main source of comedic relief throughout the show. Wasssupppp!

5.The serious issues

I get that this is a sitcom, so a lot of it consists of stupid jokes and awkward situations, but there are actually a few instances in the show that address some painful real-life experiences. I’m not going to give any spoilers, but those who have seen the show know what I’m talking about. To put it as vaguely as possible, the show addresses death, fertility issues, heartbreak (obviously), family relationships, and the importance of friendship. I’ve definitely cried many times while watching the show, even during episodes I’ve seen many times.

6. The importance of the individual

This one really goes off of the last part I listed, but throughout the show there is an underlying message that really can’t go unnoticed. Many people phrase it as “Follow your dreams”; or “Treat yourself”; or “Be true to yourself”, but really it is so much more complicated than that. As painful as some of the events in the show were, they ultimately served to help solve a deeper problem. Following your dreams is really important, and if some of the decisions made hurt your friends, the real friends understand, because ultimately they want you to succeed just as much as you do. However, they certainly aren’t afraid to set you straight if they think you’re out of line. Anyone up for an intervention? *Cough* Sorry, a Quinntervention?

I didn’t list the heartwarming comedic flare, because that is already a given. The show really does have some hilarious jokes, and the best part is many of the jokes last so long they become an inside joke between the characters and the viewers. The pineapple mystery is still talked about today and who could ever forget the duck tie? Anyway, the show is perfect for realists and romantics alike; really anyone with a pulse. The moment you fall in love with it you’ll know because it’s going to be legend-wait for it-