6 Pieces Of Advice To The Student Who Is Mentally Struggling

Things to keep in mind if you are struggling with life and mental health in college.

74
William Randles

College isn't easy. There's a lot to it.

There's classes, obviously which each one filled with it's own readings, papers, tests, and projects to complete. Add in extracurriculars that everyone says you should be heavily involved in. Then most students have a job that takes up a decent chunk of money, no one likes being completely broken. Lastly, finding time for friends and social events. It isn't easy. But I've learned there's something else on the plate of a lot of students. They are silently fighting their own battles inside.

Everyone has their own demons that they fight against everyday. Mine, for instance, include depression and anxiety. Others could be PTSD or bipolar disorder. These things have a heavy influence over a lot of people's life, but you can't give up.

1. Take a break.

College is a struggle all on its own. Don't let your own mind plague what is supposed to be the best years of yours. The most important thing, I believe, to remember is that you have to come first. It's okay to take a step back from your life. If you need a 15-minute break to breath, do it. Video games make you feel better? Then set a timer for 30 minutes and play before heading back to what you need to get done.

2. You can miss meetings.

It's okay to miss meetings. I know for a lot of clubs it feels like you have to be present at every meeting. But if you are having a rough day, you don't have to go. If you are worried about missing it, email or message one of the leaders of that organizations and explain (if you're comfortable with it) what's going on.

You'd be surprised how many people understand those moments. I've missed meetings because of my anxiety. I've let club leaders know and have received meeting notes so that I knew what was going on and didn't feel so behind.

3. Find what you need in those moments.

Find what you need. When you take those steps back, it can seem like you are wasting time, which I know causes me more stress. Find a use for those moments. I've compiled a list of things I want to try and work on that I find fun that I do when I need to take a mental time out. Whether it's trying a new yoga routine in my room or finishing a coloring book page, it still feels like I'm getting things accomplished, even though I'm helping myself out.

4. To do lists.

To do lists can be your best friend. I use to do lists constantly. I have daily lists of things I absolutely have to do go to or get done that day. This list is reserved for meetings, homework that due, and readings. Then I have things I need to get done through the week. It's not necessarily needed to be done today, but it needs to be done by Sunday night. Things on this list include laundry and sending emails. It is always a great feeling to check something off a list.

5. It's okay to say "no."

Don't say yes to everything. You won't be shamed if you say no. You don't have to go to every event your friends invite you to. You don't have to take that coworkers shift that's the night before a big test. No isn't a horrible thing to say. If you can't handle it or your plate is too full, say no. Don't overwork yourself and make your own life more difficult. No is good to use sometimes. It helps lift weights off your shoulder.

6. Keep your head up.

It seems like it's easy to get discouraged in college. A series of bad days and it can seem like the world is falling apart around you. Struggling with mental illness only makes this worse. Bad days are going to happen, but keep going.

You made it this far, so push forward. Life will hopefully get better. Take deep breathes and take on what you can handle. You are strong. You are warrior. Don't look down. Look up. Find something to hold onto. Maybe it's getting a big project done or an event you are looking forward to. You will be okay. It'll all be worth it when one day you are holding that degree in your hand. Just don't give up. There will be light in the darkness.