6 Essentials To Get You 'Career Ready' Senior Year

Don't know where to start on your job search? Check this out for some guidance.

40
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/23/6364436650248055942100648156_Laptop-Computer-Woman-Mug-Coffee-Cup-Apple-Girl-1851464.jpg

When your senior year comes around, the main theme amongst your peers is the dreaded, (for some) job search.

The way I look at it, the sooner you land a job, the better. As soon as you get your post-graduation plans squared away, the sooner you can relax and cruise through your last few months of college. However, depending on your situation, you may have something holding you back. It could your lack of motivation, you might not be sure exactly what you want to do or where you want to be employed, or like most of us, you have no idea to start looking, these six essentials will help you get a jump start on your job search and prepare you to be "career" ready.

1. A Pristine Resume & Cover Letter Ready to Go at Your Finger Tips

For each job you apply to, it is crucial that your resume is spectacular with no exceptions! Tailor your cover letter to each job and make sure both documents are clean with no spelling errors and are able to tell your story precisely.

2. Network, Network, Network! Did I mention, Network?

Use your alumni network to the best of your ability! Meet people, hear what they do in the professional world, how they got to where they are today, and if they could do anything different, what would it be. Also, networking is extremely helpful when searching for jobs because you never know if someone might know someone who could help you find your first job!

3. Clean Up Your Social Media

Just because your social media profile might say "private" doesn't mean that it is. You want your social media to reflect you and be the voice of your personal brand. It should reflect your goals, interests, and skills. Keep it appropriate- don't have anything up there you wouldn't want your grandma to see!

4. Get Friendly With Your Career Services Department

These people are made to help you! They know local connections, they know the alum who work there and they also have a good handle on figuring out what you might be good at. Their job is meant to help college grads get jobs- use them!

5.Perfect Your Elevator Pitch

When someone asks, "Tell me about yourself" You want to know exactly what to say and how you are going to say it. Practice, practice, practice! Videotape yourself and ask your friends to listen and get their feedback! It is super beneficial when you are meeting people and anytime you are on a job interview.

6.Get to Know the Industry

Once you decide on an industry you want to work in, get to know the types of jobs, responsibilities, large companies that are thriving and who some of the industry thought leaders are. Follow industry-related sites and consume content! It is super helpful to have an idea about what's going on.

The senior year job search can be tough, but preparing yourself with these six essentials will get you on the right track! May the odds forever be in your favor!