11 Things You Know To Be True If You're Bilingual

Both a blessing and a curse.

6
Kaylee Smith

As of 2015, nearly 20% of United States residents are bilingual. Despite that number being higher than it was in previous years, that's still relatively low especially compared to other countries. Here's 15 things you'll understand if you're one of the one in five of us who are bilingual.

1. Being a random fact

Not much about my life is interesting, but to everyone else knowing two languages makes me seem like it.

2. Having priority on your resume

I might only be as equally smart and as qualified at the other applicants, but I know two words for every one word the other applicants know.

3. People asking you to teach them swear words

In a nation so diverse, people would benefit from asking bilingual speakers common phrases in said language such as "Can you give me directions?" or "Thank you very much." Why does everyone just want to know swear words.

4. People trying to speak it back to you

You have 18 anos? Oh jeez, you either have a medical issue or a pronunciation issue.

5. Becoming automatic friends with someone else who is bilingual

Someone who can relate is always an automatic friend, whether you both speak the same languages or not.

6. Being able to avoid foreign language classes or them being an easy A

Foreign language classes are often the hardest for others, but for bilingual speakers it's an easy way to get credits.

7. Forgetting what a word is in one language but remembering it in the other

For whatever reason, I always forget what "vacuum" is in English. Many times have went by where I say, "Mom, where is the...um...aspiradora?"

8. Words in one language that don't entirely exist in the other

I'm a friolenta, or someone who is sensitive to cold temperatures. If I were to try and say that in english, I would have to say a full sentence instead of just using one adjective.

9. People using Google Translate in an attempt to speak to you

Google Translate is not accurate. Stop using it.

10. Not knowing what to say when someone says, "Say something to me in a different language!"

Usually I respond with, "Dime algo en una idoma diferente" aka repeating what they just said in English.

11. Knowing more than you want to about grammar

My knowledge gerunds, participles, and the pluscuamperfecto (past perfect, but it sounds cooler in Spanish) should just make me and English teacher my default at this rate.

Being bilingual is a gift but also comes along with some vexes.