5 things that happen in a college english course

When you start college, you quickly learn one thing. It's not high-school. No matter what school you are attending, you probably have a similar curriculum and expectations.

And it might be a culture shock, unless you're like me and went to a prep school for high school that teaches similarly to college courses.

Sure, foreign language, science, and math courses might be similar, because those things never seem to change at all. However, if you are an English major, like myself, you'll quickly find that English courses are way different than high school classes.

Here are five things that probably happen in every college English course.

1. You hardly ever end up taking in-class notes.

upload.wikimedia.org

If you thought you'd have to analyze every detail of the assigned reading, and write it down, you're half right. I'm an English major and have noticed that in almost every course, I barely end up using my binder. The only course I ended up taking notes every class it was my journalism class because that required a lot of specific terms that I will need to remember in my desired profession. The others mainly consisted of in class discussions about analyzing certain texts, and it was hard to take notes constantly. It's not like we're being quizzed on the details either.

2. You think you end up knowing what a text is about, only to realize you're the only one who thinks that way.

https://giphy.com/gifs/friends-nervous-embarrassed-NERY7uUYtur4Y

Like I said in my first point, college English courses are all about class discussions of reading material. And I'm sure we've all been through this. You stay up late reading the texts, you take somewhat detailed notes, you think you know what the point is. And then you go to class and realize you missed some memo that everyone else, including the professor, got.

3. Google Drive becomes more useful than ever.

The group project rears its ugly head again. Especially in English classes. In order to effectively get a group project done, you have to turn to Google Drive, because usually, no one has time to meet up and talk.

4. You have to do a class facilitation.

Also known as a guided explanation of the reading due for today's class. At the beginning of the semester, your professor passes out a sign-up sheet for you, sometimes with a partner, to give a solid explanation of what the reading was and to lead the discussion. And everyone tries to go as towards the middle of the semester as possible.

5. A lot of your readings are depressing.

It's college. Plain and simple.