Love Is Like That

The past 18 years of my life could be summed up by one word. It’s not drawn-out. Not elaborate. It is thrown around more than the baseball during a St. Louis Cardinals game. The word is misunderstood and misused. The word is powerful, mighty, and life-changing. To be frank, it is the strongest, deepest, fiercest word ever to be spoken; ever to be executed. The word contains four simple letters that can change anything when put together. The word is love. I was born because two people loved. I have been provided for because my parents love me. I am alive because God graciously chose me to be His own; He loved. However, He did not just love; He sent his Son, who is love, to die for me. Not because he had to, but because he chose to. He showed me the real meaning of life in Him. That is love. Susan Forward once wrote, “Love is a verb, not a noun. It is active. Love is not just feelings of passion and romance. It is behavior.” All things begin with love. Joy, happiness, and peace begin with love. Sadness, despair, even anger begins with love. We as people fail to see that even in our weakest moments, love is all we have and love is all that we need. With love, our needs are met because we care for our neighbor. With love, we do the hard things first, willingly without complaint. When tension rises and violence increases, we must love. When anger and wrath pour out of us like sweat, when they permeate our very souls, we must learn to love. Love is bigger than wars. It's more powerful than guns. Love heals. Love restores. Love Does. Love remains. Love overcomes failure. We must learn that sometimes love looks like holding hands, smells like roses and feels better than any other feeling in the world and sometimes love looks like a hospital bed, smells like an empty room, and remains the most unexplainable feeling in all existence. Love is like that. Love sacrifices of itself. Love rearranges society’s alphabet by putting you above me. Love gives. Love has no bouncing checks because the bank account of love is infinite; there is always more love to give. My life can be summed up by love because without love, without God, I wouldn’t exist. Without the support of my family and friends, I don't know where I would be as an individual. Without the love of my selfless boyfriend, I wouldn't fully be able to grasp how Christ has called us to love one another. My life can be summed up by love because love is, love does, love conquers, and as often as I fail, love never does.