50 Things Young Adult Women Should Recite To Themselves By 21

"Your standards don’t have to reflect the standards of those around you."

130

Once we hit a certain age, we underestimate how important it is to remind ourselves that life has its difficult moments, but it has equally beautiful moments that should be cherished.

Life’s challenges are unique to every individual. Therefore, it is up to us to decide how we will deal with those challenges in a way that is best suited for us.

After talking to friends, family and people from different walks of life on the internet, I compiled a list of 50 things that young women think they should recite to themselves by the age of 21.

1. Life has only just begun.

2. Love who you love.

3. Don’t let your relationships define you.

4. Look for someone who accentuates your best qualities.

5. Surround yourself with friends who genuinely care about you.

6. Do what makes you happiest in the world.

7. Those photos aren’t realistic.

8. Social media personas are just that.

9. Your standards don’t have to reflect the standards of those around you.

10. Put yourself first.

11. Slow down, don't settle.

12. Speak up.

13. Don't let anyone walk all over you.

14. My self-worth is not defined by a text message from some guy.

15. Don't shrink yourself to make other people comfortable.

16. Be kind to yourself, embrace yourself, have your own back.

17. This isn't forever.

18. The key to happiness is the acceptance of what we cannot control and the acceptance of our power to overcome unhappiness.

19. I am still beautiful no matter what the other kids thought or said about me.

20. Don't mix clear and brown liquor.

21. I am not just a sex object for men and all men will not just see me as a sex object.

22. You don't deserve to be treated like you are worthless.

23. Go with your heart and you ARE good enough!

24. Sometimes, you can be selfish.

25. It's not OK to let family put you down, even if it feels like they're all you have.

26. Find out who you really are as a person before making adult decisions.

27. Your worth isn't defined by a partner's affection for you.

28. Stop caring so much about what others think of you or what they think you should be doing.

29. You are enough.

30. You're only 120 lbs. YOU'RE NOT FAT.

31. It's OK to say no.

32. Make yourself uncomfortable.

33. Don’t fall for the first one!

34. Perfection is boring. Learn from your mistakes.

35. Life is a great story that you are writing — make each chapter one to write about.

36. Your emotions and feelings are valid.

37. I am beautiful. Others cannot define my worth; only I can.

38. Your achievements are worth your perseverance.

39. Life is what you make of it; don't just let it pass you by.

40. Sex is a social construct.

41. Take the classes that you're interested in whether your friends are there or not.

42. No matter how bad things seem right now, it'll always get better.

43. Physical strength is not superior to emotional strength.

44. You have a voice to make yourself be respected. Don't accept bad treatment, don't be silenced.

45. Always wear sunscreen!

46. Your weight is up to you; no one else gets a say in it.

47. Run more, eat less.

48. You are worth it.

49. Only you can decide the path that you want to take.

50. Choose love, always.