5 Ways to Rock Your Next Interview

5 Ways to Rock Your Next Interview

With interviews for summer internships coming up, it's important to stand out amongst the competition.

4

We're all going to have to do an interview for something in our lives. Whether it's a summer internship, Dance Marathon position, a leadership position in a club, or your dream job -- we're all going to experience this. Here are the top five ways to make sure you leave the interviewer starstruck.

Do Your Research!

It doesn't matter what you are interviewing for, you need to know about this company or organization. When going into an interview it is so impressive to already know basic things about the company like who the CEO is, what the company stands for and supports, the company's mission statement, etc. Don't get too creepy and know the CEO's niece's dog's name, but having a basic background on the company is guaranteed to get you extra brownie points.

Be Prepared

While this one seems obvious, it is seriously so so SO important. The best way to appear prepared is to carry a portfolio style folder with you into the interview full of the things you might need. This way you have a space to write notes about any important information they give you in the notepad section and a pocket for 1-2 extra copies of your resumé and/or recommendation letters. Lastly, be sure to have meaningful questions prepared to ask them. Questions like "how long is my lunch break?" or "so, are the people that work here, like, chill?" are NOT good questions to ask. Some good and basic questions I typically ask are "What would be my day-to-day tasks?" and "What does a typical week at (insert company name) look like?" You want to seem interested in the position enough to have seriously thought about the position and how it would affect you. Being prepared lets the interviewer know that you are serious about the position and makes your appear more responsible and put together.

Stay Away From Distracting Clothing  

That super cute new statement necklace you were thinking about wearing? Yeah, don't. Bright colors, large patterns, chunky jewelry or bright shoes can be so insanely distracting for an interviewer and could be what makes them choose someone else over you. It is best to stick to neutral, cool tones for formal interviews. Black, blues, white, light pink, grey, tan, khaki are all great examples of colors that would be okay. You could even go with a pattern as long as the pattern is small and not overly distracting. There are so many ways to make this cute and not boring, I promise! You can even add to the outfit with something like a nice watch or small necklace.

Also, be sure that your make-up is subtle and natural looking. It can be overwhelming for the interviewer if you walk in with a smokey eye and a bold red lip. Ladies, if you bra strap shows or you can see your bra through your shirt -- change. Men, wear a belt and make sure your pants are hitting your waistline.

Leave Your Phone In Your Car

I'm actually sitting here cringing thinking about my phone going off during an interview. I know you can put in on silent mode and that you won't be on it during the interview, but please. Just leave it in the car. There is not a good place to put your phone during an interview that won't be distracting.

Be Yourself 

I truly think the most important tip I can give you is to let your personality show in the interview. Be yourself and confident in who you are and be confident in your abilities! You're an amazing human and you have worked to hard to get to this point, to be at this interview. You deserve this!