5 Ways To Relieve Stress

5 Ways To Relieve Stress

Some ways I have found helpful for dealing with everyday stress.

12
Belltime Magazine

With summertime coming to an end and fall creeping a peek around the corner, comes the dreadful sorrow of all students dragging themselves out bed only to retrieve back to their wooden desks with back-breaking seats, hour long day-dreaming sessions and tests... LOTS of tests. These are just a couple of ways you can rid of, or at least calm, that inexorable stress that comes along with school.

1. Light an incense or a candle

Otherwise found as a cone or oil, incense sticks are not only odor killers; ancient practices have found they have healing properties that are linked to the relief of stress and the increase in creative juices as well as focus. If that's not quite your cup of tea, a candle also does the trick! Find a scent you find comforting, whether it be clean linen or sandalwood; lying back and taking slow breaths can eliminate or soothe your nerves.

2. Find a balanced diet

Although finding a balanced diet with a strict schedule can be the source of stress in itself, after a while it'll become second nature to look after yourself with the proper foods. It's extremely important to have grains, proteins, fruits, vegetables, and iron as well as many other components in your diet. However, it's not only foods, swearing off of caffeine and drinking more water will effectively change you overtime. If coming up with meals on the spot is a hassle, planning meals ahead is a tactic many have found helpful. Not only will you feel and look better, but it will show in your everyday tasks.

3. Set a strict sleeping schedule

Homework, work, chores, errands--they can make it almost impossible to have a strict sleeping schedule, but with enough motivation it can be done. Setting a strict sleeping schedule doesn't have to mean going to sleep at exactly 10:30 p.m. every night but setting a time to be asleep by. Drinking tea, water, and listening to music will help most in this aspect. It'll heighten your senses the next day, therefore make it easier to complete tasks saving you the lazy procrastination stress.

4. Meditate

Taking 15 minutes to an hour out of your day to meditate can literally change the way you compose yourself and your work. The act of closing your eyes and taking in deep breathes with light music or nature serenading you in the background has been proven to change your brain structure in extremely beneficial ways: Including feeling more goal-oriented as opposed to unmotivated and strengthening the way you deal with hardships in general. This is extremely handy when faced with unwanted pressure in your environment or overall life.

5. Make lists

Lists. Lists. Lists! One of the greatest things you can do in school and for indefinite best results in anything else is making lists of all the goals you might have for the day, month, year or upcoming years. Setting a schedule could make you feel more organized, which will help you complete things orderly without worrying about what might be next. Working towards something, and finally being able to mark it off a list is a huge stress reliever.

Remember that things take their own individual amount of time; some things might take longer than others. Don't get discouraged! You'll eventually finish that task, it's best when you know you've stayed cool throughout it all and got the best results, rather than rushing through it to finish something you won't be proud of.