5 Ways To Piss Your Server Off And Get Put On The Rude List

It's like the naughty list, except the person making it is also preparing your food or drink!

7

It's 2016 and the United States is full of new advances in technology and media such as Uber, Lyft, Snapchat, Location Services, Online Delivery and the Pokemon App. Instagram even has a feed feature these days! What a time to be alive! Throughout the years, social etiquette and manners have evolved. Something that has and will always be ever present however is rude people. How is one to know if they are one of these rude people? Here's a list of things that baristas, servers, bussers, cashiers, retail employees and anyone who works with the public can agree will earn you a spot on their annoying and rude list. Every establishment has a secret list of rude customers and what they did to get them on that list. Some customers become legend and tales of their rudeness are kept alive long after those employees have found better jobs.

1. Water

You are thirsty. You expect free water. You cut in line and demand free water. You cut a line of paying customers already in line to yell at someone to give you free water. I am a beverage unicorn and am a barista by day and bartender by night. I deal with these kinds of rudes at each job. Sometimes I will be shaking a martini vigorously or muddling mint for a mojito and very obviously occupied and encounter these water demanders who ignore all other paying customers and other humans who want to tip me to demand free water. This also happens often when I'm frothing milk to achieve the perfect foam for a cappuccino and a guest cuts the line to scream at me over the sound of my hissing espresso machines. The problem with these humans is not that they want something free (I am a fish and love staying hydrated, and understand I live in a hot city filled with drunk people,) the problem is they cut an entire line or bar full of guests to bark me an order for their courtesy cup. There is a nicer way to do most things, and in an ideal world those who needed ice waters would wait for me to properly greet them or wait their turn in line to let me know they needed a water, and I'd gladly give them one.

2. Your Phone

During any shift I will admit my phone is normally in my pocket, near my register or charging some place close by. I am a product of my environment in some ways and admit to overusing my phone to lurk Blac Chyna's Instagram, read articles, message friends and reblog funny stuff. However, one thing I won't do is carry on a phone conversation while trying to check out. Do you know how awkward it is for a server to try to take the order for someone who is fighting with their spouse on the phone? Not fun. Do you know how weird it is for a bra attendant to try and fit someone who is taking a snap chat selfie in the fitting room mirror? Not so fun. Also it's very awkward for someone to walk up to a barista or bartender and say one word and resume their phone conversation. For example "Wine" or "Latte" well what size? What milk? Hot or iced? For here? To go? Red or white? Any flavoring? How are you paying? I have so many questions for you please put your phone down. If you are ordering something, please for the love of Beyonce Knowles, put your phone down.

3. Cutting Me Off

Being cut off is never fun in the driving world, the necklace world or the speaking world. I spent a few years as a hostess and we were required to sit the table and let them know where the bathroom was and who there server would be. I cannot tell you how many times I had guests sit down and turn around in the middle of me starting to tell them my small spiel and demand more one word requests "water, bud light, mozzarella sticks, drink menu." I also worked as a server for years and would constantly be interrupted before I even told them my name. Don't cut me off when I'm trying to greet you, answer questions and let you know how my place of employment works. This makes you a rude. It also means when you interrupt me in the middle of my informative spiel and then later ask me for something I was trying to tell you originally, that I will have to fake a smile and try not to roll my eyes as I curse you in my head.

4. Getting Mad About Change

My paychecks and tax forms read "barista" and "bartender" not "personal banker." Working in a bar or restaurant or retail place of any sort mostly guarantees that someone will have a bank/cash drawer/access to money. However, if I don't have four five dollar bills available after a busy shift when everyone gave me a $10 and I gave out an absurd number of fives as change, please don't give me attitude. Some people want change for tips, parking meters, bus fare or to fill birthday cards with. Most of the time I am happy to make change for customers or most any human who has wandered into my establishment. However, as I am not a banker or a cash tender, I'd appreciate if you waited your turn to get change and if you did not give me grief when I cannot give you $20 in quarters or break a $100 bill without giving you some singles. Please do not interrupt a transaction to ask for change. Please, realize only one person has a till at a time and so I cannot pull out $50 in 10's from behind the bar or counter unless I am on that till. If a coworker is ringing someone up, I cannot interrupt them ringing up items to pop their cash drawer real quick. We want to take care of guests but some guests go from needy to rude real quick. If you need $2 bills, rolls of coin, or specific denominations, go to a bank or work with us. Busy bars and cafes use cash a lot ask we may not have $100 in singles to give out.

5. Why?

I cannot tell you how many times I have had guests turn from normal to rude real quick when they ask the why question incessantly as if I am paid enough to answer them. "Why is this drink priced this way? Why don't you have lids for your to-go beers? Why isn't this a pokestop? Why don't you accept Apple Pay? Why can't I pay via check? Why don't you carry Crown Apple? Why don't you have frappuccinos? Why can't I get table service? Why don't you have hemp milk?" I am a small fish in a system of waterways and although I make an effort to know the answers and the stories behind most things, I am not all knowing. I don't make menus, build buildings, order the product, create the procedures or own the place so I cannot always answer your questions. It's also just awkward and rude to persistently ask why. If you ask me what I have on draft and then you hit me with a "Why don't you have Bell's Christmas Ale on draft?" it makes it harder for me to help you as a guest. Would you like to wait as I email my director or corporate manager or find a liquor representatives number? No, you just want to be rude. If you don't like the selecting, you don't have to buy anything from me. If I tell you we only have almond and coconut milk and you ask "Why do I not offer goat milk?" It literally does nothing to help you get this mythical goat milk latte from my establishment. Don't be a rude! I just show up! I cannot tell you why because I just make the drinks! Do not argue with me when I tell you I'm not sure or suggest something else!

If you or anyone you know are or think you might be a rude, please read this article, take it to heart, and reevaluate your life choices. Stay home and drink your goat milk latte instead of yelling at your local barista for not serving the milk of your favorite farm animal. Go to Chase Bank when you need ten rolls of dimes instead of your neighborhood bar. Wait your turn for the stuff you order, let the workers do their jobs and inform you of happenings, and please, thank you; and tips are always appreciated.