How To Drive Stress Away And Focus On The Brighter Things In Life

As we mature through life, we will realize that stress will continuously build up, but it is entirely up to us on how we decide to persevere and pull through it

19

Stress is actually a toxic killer and I'm sure all of you go through it on a daily basis. Although some stress is somewhat beneficial for your mind, as a whole, stress can lead to chronic agony and increased anxiety. I remember how stressed I used to be during college whenever I had multiple exams on the same day. Thoughts like "How would I manage to study for all these exams? and Why do they have to be on the same day? would increase my paranoia even more.

The more you decide to continue stressing about something that you literally have no control over, the exorbitant level of unhappiness you will have to face in the long run. As we mature through life, we will realize that stress will continuously build up, but it is entirely up to us on how we decide to persevere and pull through it. You may have heard that stress can also lead to life-threatening conditions such as a stroke, heart attack, or anxiety attacks. However, there are ways in which you can reduce the amount of stress intake in your lives! Listed below are 5 unique ways that you can use to destress:

1. Don't be alone and start talking to family or friends: When you feel that your "stress" is actually taking its toll on you in a negative way, immediately surround yourself amidst a group of people i.e. friends and family. Simply being physically close to them relieves stress as you will find yourself in a safe place where there are solicitous people who can talk to you and provide you with the closure you need. Sometimes all you need is some "talk therapy" just to get back in the groove and carry on with life's activities.
  2. Listen to music: Music is a boon to us and I'm personally extremely thankful for the magnificent artists who have entertained us for years with their musical talent. When you listen to music, you will feel so much better than you previously were and learn to appreciate the beautiful things in life even more. In fact, the melody found in music can stir the tunes in your life into a more cohesive one.
  3. Read books: Reading is always a pleasure and is the most effective way to immerse yourself in another character's tale of adventures and their life. When you are reading a novel, whether it be a mystery, romance, or even an autobiographical piece, you are instantly a part of the character's world leaving you with ample reasons to forget your life stressors for a while. Moreover, reading enables a person to grow as a person and that growth will alleviate the symptoms of stress found often in life.
  4. Get involved in extracurricular activities and find a hobby: When you start getting involved in an activity that interests you and makes you feel over the top, then you have found yourself a splendid hobby that you can engross in. One of my favorite hobbies is playing basketball and shooting some baskets enables me to focus on the brighter side of things instead of the uncontrollable factors. In addition, I experience bliss whenever I'm out gardening with my parents during the spring and summer months.
  5. Travel to exotic places: Travel somewhere exciting with friends and family! Remember, traveling does not necessarily mean abroad and can refer to somewhere local. Just get outside and mingle with the universe and its surroundings more. A change in place is a change of mind and this is exactly what we all need to escape the perils of stress!