If you're anything like me, the blaring of an alarm at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning is just about the last thing in the world you want to hear. After a month of sleeping until noon, zero responsibilities, and a permanent residence on the couch, the idea of returning to the stresses and responsibilities of school is less than ideal. However, there are a few tips and tricks that you can do to help to make the transition back into classes just a bit more bearable.

1. Get new school supplies

One of my all-time favorite activities is purchasing school supplies. There is something exciting about roaming the aisles of Staples, picking out your favorite pencil (which, naturally, changes every year) and staring at all the brightly colored notebooks. When you get supplies that you are excited about, it may make the act of taking them out of your backpack just a bit less dreary.

2. Buy a new "favorite" piece of clothing

Whether it be a scarf, a sweater, jeans, or some cool new sneakers, there is something to be said for "look good, feel good". A new addition to your closer will give you something to smile about as you get dressed in the dark dorm room morning glow, and the idea of debuting this item to your friends and classmates may even make the prospect of sitting through a math lecture a bit less ominous.

3. Buy a calendar

When the wave of responsibilities and assignments come your way, having a calendar in which you can note down all the things that you need to get done makes life MUCH easier. Charting down all your upcoming assignments when the syllabus comes out will cause the entire rest of the semester to be less stressful.

4. Start a new show on Netflix

Okay, this one may sound a little counterintuitive, however, I am a firm believer that everyone needs a good study break once in a while. If you have a new show that you're excited to watch, it will help motivate you to get your work done in a timely manner so that you can watch it. But, speaking from experience, just don't let this one get too out of hand...

5. Talk to people in your classes

No matter how easy a class may seem, it is ALWAYS beneficial to have a friend in class. Whether it be to whisper with when the teacher's lessons get unbearably boring, or to alternate days showing up and exchange notes, it can never hurt. Furthermore, if you make friends in your classes it will help you get excited to attend said classes because you'll have someone to look forward to seeing.

Obviously, none of these will counteract the pure misery that fills you as the ice-cold temperatures hit your face as you trudge to your first class of the semester, but hopefully, they will make the rest of the semester just a bit more pleasant.