The 5 best ways to combat anxiety

Anxiety affects all of us every day in some way. Many suffer from severe cases of it as well. Here are five ways to ease yourself when you're feeling anxious.

1. Exercise

I'm sure you have heard the saying, "healthy body, happy mind" and it's true. Exercising releases endorphins which in turn make you happier. It only takes 15 minutes to see the results. All you need is to get your heart rate up for 15 minutes a day and it will drastically change your life for the better.

2. Meditation

Honestly, I was skeptical about this one at first but after one week, I'm hooked. There are so many resources available to learn the art of meditation. I use the Headspace app and I can honestly say it changed my life. You don't have to spend many times to reap the benefits. It takes as little as 3 minutes to change your day. Everyone can make that sacrifice.

3. Essential Oils

Essential oils have so many purposes and so many scents. Lavender essential oil calms the mind and body. At night, put a few drops into a diffuser and watch your nights become less restless. During the day, put a few drops into an essential oil bracelet or necklace and it will stay with you all day long.

4. Give up caffeine 

I know this one sounds terrible and I'll be honest with you, it's hard at first, but you get used to it. Caffeine enhances your panic and anxiety. Giving it up will help you, I promise.

5. Reading and writing

Reading and writing gives us an escape from reality. It takes us to a place far away from our problems. Reading just a few pages of a good book can completely turn your day around. In regards to writing, if you enjoy journaling, do that. If you're not the writer type, I challenge you to write down 3 things you're grateful for at the beginning and end of every day. Or write a thank you note or text to someone who has made an impact on you. Living with a grateful heart and expressing our emotions helps our mind. Expressing emotions makes us realize just how wonderful this world can be.