5 Ways To Distract Yourself During Quarantine

Here are five activities are technology free and won't get you in desperate need of purchasing bluelight glasses!

26
View of Westwood Sunset
Olivia Abbott

We are facing a global crisis that is testing our ability to remain calm and collected in a situation that has us cooped up in our houses with the family situations we all grow up to escape from. Fear not, for this is not a permanent situation, and we will and you must make it out of this with your wits about you. This is not to say that we should have high hopes and expect this house arrest to end anytime soon. That is why living every day to the best of your ability and keeping positive energy in your life, however you might do that, is key to staying sane. As dramatic as this might sound, finding reasons to wake up every morning without dreading your day can be reassuring.

1. Become a beauty guru!

Beauty guru

media.giphy.com

Fabulous ladies and gentlemen, this is the time to test out that Euphoria-esk neon liners and vibrant face gemstones you purchased on your latest accidental shopping spree at Sephora. If you don't have the funds to splurge on makeup, there are always ways to buy sample sizes during the insane corona online super sales. If makeup isn't your deal, it's always an exciting time to teach yourself how to curl and braid your hair in Pinterest-inspired ways. Just because you have been sitting in your PJs alone with your dog for months in quarantine does not mean dolling yourself up is out of the question. If anything, it can be uplifting to dress up for yourself without the pressure of anyone else's opinion.

2. Cook themed dinners!

Lady and the Tramp

media.giphy.com

We have all been taken quarantine as a designated time to explore the culinary arts through at home-cooking with the available groceries at the market. Why not take it a step further and create a complete dining experience for yourself and or your family? Have a Benihana inspired Hibachi night and attempt to create their famous onion lava explosion as Tik-Tok users have been recently exploring. A few other ideas to start you off would be: build your own Buddha bowl night, cruise ship buffet dining, dessert pizza night, or even a Lady and the Tramp romantic inspired dinner. There are seriously endless ways to get innovative at home.

3. Get crafty!

Crafting

media.giphy.com

For those that enjoy art projects and need an outlet to express themselves during this crazy time in our lives, it is always fun to do art. There are the obvious ways of doing this which include painting, drawing, knitting, beading, and so on. I have recently found that putting together homemade scrapbooks and photo albums to give as gifts to family and friends from a social distance can be rewarding. It is an exciting activity that includes reminiscing on the past and decorating using crafty Pinterest techniques.

4. Get active!

Man waving arms

media.giphy.com

Most of us are used to walking to and from work or class every day and putting in hours at the gym as a part of our daily routine. While that is now a luxury that we are not able to utilize, our bodies are becoming used to the constant sitting and little exercise patterns that quarantine has evolved us into doing. We assume that because there is no specific end date to this madness that there is no reason to set goals anymore. It is vital for us as humans to keep our bodies moving and active as much as we can. Whether that be doing yoga on your front lawn, making Tik-Tok dances with your family, finding a 20-minute work out routine to do virtually, or going on a run outside, these little ways of keeping yourself active and the endorphins pumping will ensure that you won't go crazy.

5. Do some self care!

Person in a facemask closing a door

media.giphy.com

Bubble baths, face masks, baking, and meditation are some of the many self-care techniques that people can add to their quarantine routines. People are stressing during this time financially and the strain of being cooped up in their houses with family they aren't used to living with 24/7. At times like these, we need to take small moments out of the day to center ourselves and practice self-love. Sephora and Urban Outfitters have a great selection of self-care products that are affordable and currently doing delivery!

Although binge-watching Netflix can be therapeutic as well as thrilling, it can sometimes be impossible to not fall into a black hole of Internet addiction. I love YouTube and Instagram just as much as the next Gen Z would, but I realize that I oftentimes need to disconnect to keep my sanity intact. Take these moments to find your creative outlet outside of technology, it might teach you a thing or two.