5 Ways To Be An Activist In High School

5 Ways To Be An Activist In High School

High school is a busy time, and even thinking about doing things outside of the classroom can be stressful, but getting involved in social justice is much easier than you may think.

5
5 Ways To Be An Activist In High School

Here are some tips on being an activist in high school

Utilize Social Media

While Instagram, Twitter, and Tik Tok shouldn't be your go-to news outlets, they can be extremely useful for sharing information and accessing resources. Especially for the younger generations, social media has become a highly useful resource for bringing awareness to issues that need it, and a way for a larger amount of people to become involved. Find and follow accounts that will educate you

Attend Local Events and Protests

When I first started becoming interested in protesting, I joined different groups on Facebook to stay informed on times and locations of upcoming protests. This helped me work my way into the community and be able to make connections. Going to protests, meetings, and rallies can be nerve-wracking, but making friends within the community and/or bringing friends along with you can make the experience much more comfortable. Attending protests is important in making change, and it will also allow you to become more active in your community.

Sign Petitions

Signing petitions is extremely important when trying to make change, and it's probably the easiest way to do it. Websites like change.org make it easy to sign a lot of petitions in little time. Before signing and donating, make sure to do your research, as many large organizations will pocket the money and not pass it along as they say they will.

Join or Create Organizations

Whether it be through your school or just through your community, joining or creating groups can be a great way to stay involved and meet like-minded people. They can also be great for bringing awareness to a specific cause or issue- things like sustainability, an LGBTQ+ alliance, amplifying black voices, gun violence awareness, etc. These groups can also be extremely helpful in inspiring and having important conversations that usually don't occur in school settings.

Stay Informed

A huge aspect of being an activist is spreading awareness and information about current events, which isn't possible if you aren't keeping up with the news. Utilize the news app on your phone or unbiased online news outlets to stay informed on important issues, and, as stated previously, use social media apps to inform others about the important issues.

Becoming involved in activism can seem daunting, but when it really comes down to it, it's really just about being passionate about social justice and acting on those passions. Anyone can be an activist, and it's crucial for the younger generations to use their resources and their powerful voices to do so.