5 Ways to Make the Best Out of the Flu

5 Ways to Make the Best Out of the Flu

Make the flu work for you

17
5 Ways to Make the Best Out of the Flu
Abby Kihano

A few weeks ago I fell victim to the flu, and it wasn't the regular kind that keeps you hostage for 3-4 days and releases you back into the world of happy mortals. What I had was the notorious stomach flu and that bastard kept me in hell for a whole week. Since I normally get sick only about once a year, I took this as an opportunity to make the best out of the experience even when there was no light in the tunnel. Here are my top 5 ways to make the best out of the flu and beat boredom.

1. It's your chance to become a chef

Cooking may be the last thing on your mind while your poor body is being ravaged by fever, but this is the perfect time to evaluate your diet and improve it. First thing's first—read up on nutrition and how to break a fever. You'd be surprised to find out that there are some natural ways to do so which will save you a few handfuls of pills. Once you take care of that, it's time to evaluate your diet.

One of the reasons I blame myself for contracting the stomach flu is the lack of variety in my diet. I exercise every day, drink 100oz of water and eat healthy, yet I had to suffer just like my friends who lie on the couch eating pizza every night. My downfall was that my diet wasn't varied enough and I wasn't getting all the nutrients I needed. In order to make sure that your immune system is in top shape, make sure to have a eat the right food. Get creative and cook yourself some salmon with sweet potatoes and turmeric. Make a soup. Go nuts (pistachios are pretty great). The cooking skills you gain will stick with you throughout the year and you'll be able to ward off sickness next time.

2. Use your time off to learn something

Relax, I don't mean reading. If your head is throbbing as hard as mine did, staring at fine print is the last thing you want to do. What you can do is pick a few good podcasts to listen to. Not only will the voice of the narrator soothe you, but you'll learn something new. I listen to Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Work Week podcast religiously and now have enough dinner conversation topics to last me another five years. You can also get audiobooks or just turn on the radio. Who said sick time can't be productive?

3. This is the time to pamper yourself

Draw yourself a nice bubble bath. Go ahead and bring Netflix in, I'll allow it. Being sick at home is the perfect time to catch up on your favorite shows and see what's new. Make yourself a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows while you're at it. I strongly suggest putting a face mask too, regardless if you're a girl or a dude, no one's watching.

4. Go all out on hygge

I'm talking comfort all the way, baby. Wrap yourself in plush blankets, snuggle up in soft pillows, put on cozy sweatpants and fuzzy slippers. Light up some candles, turn on Planet Earth and mute it. Play your favorite music. Rub moisturizer all over your arms and legs. Make the flu as hygge as possible and you'll instantly feel a little better.

5. Refresh your apartment/ look

If you're anything like me, the only thing worse than the cramps and lack of appetite is probably the boredom. Since you've got what seems like an eternity to yourself, go ahead and check out some interior design ideas. The best part is that you can buy whatever you like online, so you won't even have to lift a finger. Same goes for your look. I often use downtime to browse through the latest hairstyles, fashion and exercise routines. This is your chance to get creative.

So here you are—5 ways to make the best out of the flu. Enjoy and remember that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Stay cozy!