5 Ways to Help the DAPL Protestors

5 Ways to Help the DAPL Protestors

If you can't get to North Dakota, here are simple ways to support and protect those at Standing Rock.

9
5 Ways to Help the DAPL Protestors
Robyn Beck

According to our constitution, all American citizens have the right to assemble. Meaning, we have the right to peacefully protest without repercussion. Why is it, then, that there are people protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline – which follows the Missouri River and can seriously harm the water supply of the Sioux people, as well as destroy their sacred burial ground and other lands – who are being accosted by the National Guard using military force? These people are peacefully protesting, but they are being met with some serious resistance.

On Friday, December 2nd, the Army Corps of Engineers announced that protestors must clear the area by Monday, December 5th (today) or else face arrest and other military action. However, protestors have stated that they will not budge and will strongly hold their ground. This conflict will cause the protests to reach a new level, and the impact could be disasterous and fatal.

The stories of these brave "water warriors" as they have come to be known have been somewhat covered by the news, and most have seen the hashtag #NoDAPL somewhere on social media. With the new order placed upon them to leave the premises, they are in more in need of support than ever. So, what can we do to help? If you can’t get to North Dakota to protest and stand amongst the Sioux people for the largest gathering of Native Americans in recent history, here is what can be done.

1) Educate yourself and others .

One of the most powerful weapons we have is education. Below is a DAPL Factsheet written by Jenna Amatulli on Scibd, which includes a lot of good information in a compact space.

This is a link to an accumulation of CNN articles and stories on the protests, the pipeline, and the Standing Rock Sioux.

Or, if you find yourself in a position to educate others/want more information,this is a syllabus with information about the history of the Sioux people, Standing Rock, and the pipeline so that you may conduct a formal session about the topic at hand.

2) Sign some petitions .

This petition aims to get President Obama to take action.

This petition aims to stop the DAPL.

3) Donate money.

If you are willing and able, I strongly urge you to donate to one or more of the following organizations. While they have individual goals, they all stand for the #NoDAPL movement.

The Standing Rock Tribe General Fund

The Camp of the Sacred Stones Legal Defense Fund

The Camp of the Sacred Stones General Fund

The Medic and Healer Council's Fund

Winterize the Water Protectors Camp

The Standing Rock Health Clinic

The Red Warrior Camp General Fund

4) Donate supplies .

Along with donating money, the protestors and natives need supplies. You can find a list of supplies from the Camp of the Sacred Stones here, and their Amazon wishlist here. You can also find the Oceti Sakowin Camp supply list here.

Beyond these lists, protesters and medics have stated that they need the following items:

- Milk of Magnesia

- Wool Socks

- Wool blankets

- Space blankets

- Hand warmers

- Portable trauma kits

- Suturing kits

- Straw bales

These articles, and anything else you wish to send, can be sent to the following addresses: Standing Rock Medic and Healer Council, PO Box 1251, Bismark ND, 58502 (for the supplies listed above), Sacred Stone Camp, P.O. Box 1011, Fort Yates, ND 58538, or 202 Main St., Fort Yates, ND 58538.

5) Make your voice heard .

Just because you can't get to North Dakota doesn't mean that you can't make your voice heard.

Call the White House. Obama has been surprisingly silent about the DAPL, demand to know why.

The White House
(202) 456-1111
(202) 456-1414

Call the executives at Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the pipeline:

Lee Hanse, Executive Vice President
(210) 403-6455

Glenn Emery, Vice President
(210) 403-6762

Michael (Cliff) Waters , Lead Analyst
(713) 989-2404

Call representatives in North Dakota to stop the violence against peaceful protesters:

North Dakota Governor Jack Dalrymple
(701) 328-2200

Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier
(701) 667-3330

Contact local law enforcement who have sent police officers to Standing Rock. If your city or town has sent deployments, ask them to bring their people back:

Michigan City Police Department (Michigan City, IN): (219) 874-3221

North Dakota Highway Patrol: (701) 328-2455

Hammond Police Department (Hammond, IN): 219-852-2900

Munster Police Department (Munster, IN): (219) 836-6600

Griffith Police Department (Griffith, IN): (219) 924-7503

Anoka County Sheriff’s Office (Andover, MN): (763) 323-5000

Washington County Sheriff’s Office (Stillwater, MN): (651) 430-6000

Marathon County Sheriff’s Department (Wausau, WI): (715) 261-1200

La Porte County Sheriff’s Office (La Porte, IN): (219) 326-7700

Newton County Sheriff’s Office (Kentland, IN): (219) 474-3331

South Dakota Highway Patrol (Pierre, SD): (605) 773-3105

Jasper County Sheriff (Rensselaer, IN): (219) 866-7344

Lake County Sheriff’s Department (Crown Point, IN): (219) 755-3333

Laramie County Sheriff’s Department (Cheyenne, WY): (307) 633-4700

Wyoming Highway Patrol (Cheyenne, WY): (307) 777-4301

Ohio State Highway Patrol (Columbus, OH): (614) 446-2660

Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (Lincoln, NE): (402) 471-7241

Just because you can't go to North Dakota doesn't mean you can't stand up for and support their cause. Below are links to other lists that provide ways for you to help.

Cosmopolitan: 10 Ways to Help #NoDAPL if You Can't Get to North Dakota

Crave Culture: 7 Ways to Help the DAPL Protestors at Standing Rock

Huffington Post: How to Help the Standing Rock Sioux