Five Ways To Exercise More This Year

Five Ways To Exercise More This Year

A few ideas to help yourself fully live out that New Year's resolution

16
Five Ways To Exercise More This Year
Tumblr

Normally, I’m not the type of person to make a New Year’s resolution and stick to it. Each year, one of two things happen. The more typical outcome is that I forget to even think of a resolution, because I’m not super into the whole “new year new me” thing, so it doesn’t even cross my mind. Some years, though, I decide that “this will be my year” and I actually make a resolution. It’s usually something really common (but effective, nonetheless), like going to the gym more or stopping a negative habit. However, I’ll only commit myself to it for about a week. After the first week of being really good and following my resolution, I tend to forget about my resolution and accidentally break it, or I’ll just think it’s too hard to follow and purposely break it. Or, I gradually break it, starting off with saying “I’ll give myself a break today but I’ll start again tomorrow”, and end up with having a break that lasts the rest of the year.

This year, however, I decided that I’m going to make a New Year’s resolution to exercise more.

It sounds cliche, but here’s how my resolution differs from normal exercising resolutions: I’m not talking about the typical definition of “exercise”. The dictionary has many definitions for the word, including “a putting into action”.

In other words, my New Year’s Resolution is to put myself - every part of me - into action in my daily life.

Here are five ways that anyone can exercise more in this new year:

1. Exercise your heart.

Love yourself and others unconditionally. Seek out opportunities to serve other people, especially in ways they wouldn’t expect. Talk to the girl who seems to have no one to talk to, love your friends even when they’re driving you crazy, dedicate time for the people who matter most to you. Practice loving your significant other more, trying to understand and forgive rather than to get upset. See how your roommates are really doing. Reach out to people who need someone.

2. Exercise your eyes.

Look at the beauty in everything around you. Appreciate the scenery of the world. Appreciate the true beauty of others. Look for and recognize God in other people. Give people your full, unwavering attention.

3. Exercise your ears.

Listen to others when they say they need someone or something. Listen even harder when they won’t admit it. Sit down and have a real conversation with someone. Really take the time to listen to them.

4. Exercise your body.

Fully be there for other people. Be present. Smile at other people more often. Participate in things that produce more joy, especially for those in need. Go on a run. Even go to the gym more often.

5. Exercise your mind.

Learn something new every day. Start reading more often. Start writing more often. Read the Bible more often. Pay more attention and be more devoted in classes or work. Challenge yourself. Always be looking for ways to exercise more.