5 Ways To Enjoy The King Of Prussia Mall

If you want an adventure but you're a broke college student.

378
Valley Forge

If you're anything like me you're looking for an adventure on the weekend (alone, with a partner, or with your friends) that won't break the bank. You're what they would call "A broke college student." I was surprised when I learned that a lot of people actually do go shopping a lot in college. I have always had a different approach to malls in general. So here's my quirky person's guide to enjoying the King of Prussia Mall without breaking the bank and having an adventurous day!

1. Spend money on experiences, not items.

There's SO MUCH to buy at the mall. If you go to go buy items you'll likely end up spending your money fast and not even exploring that much. A great way if you do want to splurge a little is food at the mall. The King of Prussia Mall has so many quirky food joints hidden in and around the mall. If you want to be really adventurous go to a restaurant that is way out of your budget and totally just get a fancy appetizer. Other experiences include arcade games in the comic book store, and I will remind you trying on expensive clothing is free. Do a fashion show! Take pictures! They can't stop you from just trying on clothing. Be respectful, but you can still have fun with it.

It's fun to dare a friend to try the hot sauce challenge at the hot sauce store. The bonus is if they actually win eating the ghost pepper they get a discount at Cold Stone Creamery.

2. There's stuff that's technically free that's pretty fun.

For instance, at KOP, there's tournaments at the comic book store for different board games and board game stores let you play for free. Also, check out BrookStone, you can try REALLY nice massage chairs. Yeah, you're not going to buy it, but do it anyway! Same goes for places like Lush where they'll let you try amazing smelling hand and face scrubs. They'll try to sell it to you, true, but they can't make you buy it.

There's actually an art gallery in the mall too, completely free! Just walk in! They love visitors.

Along this line if you aren't ready for the full meal yet there's samples hiding everywhere. I love having some Teavana tea and the Chinese place always has something to sample.

3. Strike up a conversation/ People watching.

Sure, you're thinking I sound creepy but seriously. There are so many beautiful interesting people at the mall. Go to a store with a shared interest whether that's comic books or make up just start talking to a clerk. If they seem like they don't want to talk that's fine, but often times I've met some really interesting and wonderful people.

For instance, one time I met another person who was gender neutral and we talked about Pokemon in Hot Topic. We're not BFFs but I friend-ed them on Facebook and it was fun.

4. Play an epic game.

The KOP mall is MASSIVE and air conditioned. It's a great place for anything from capture the flag to man hunt. If you REALLY want to go all out you can google "mall scavenger hunts" which don't involve buying things, they involve taking pictures with things and doing goofy stuff. It's a great bonding experience and a great location.

Not everyone is into Pokemon Go! But I will say the mall is a great place to play interactive games like this too because of the free wifi and great places to grab a bite to eat.

5. If you want to buy something, buy something with a story or something practical (try local and fair trade stores instead of the big corporations).

If you're really itching by the end of the trip to make a purchase (which I totally understand) go for something that reminds you of the awesome day you had. Something that reminds you of a friend. Something quirky and unique like a tea cup from Ten Thousand Villages or maybe even a piece of jewelry made locally at a little boutique.

Teavana has a great selection of delicious teas that you could take home to share. Something like a mug is great because it's fun and you know you'll actually use it. It's a bit less practical but musical instruments like pan flutes are actually really fun things to keep around a dorm for when you're hanging out with friends. It's a conversation piece and someone is bound to pick it up and mess around with it.

Surprisingly I will note that local and fair trade stores tend to have better deals than the big corporations and even if you go a bit over budget you'll know how the product was made and where the money is going.

The mall isn't just a capitalist trap! It's an adventure like anywhere else!