5 De-Stressing Tips That Don't Involve Technology
Education

Don't get me wrong, I love college, but it has taken somewhat of a toll on my mental health.

445
https://unsplash.com/photos/UPXAjm_I_fs
Unsplash - Hey Beauti Magazine

As a college student, it has become increasingly difficult to maintain my mental health. I have found myself in stressful situations that I never experienced in high school. Creating a balanced lifestyle at school can feel overwhelming at times — especially in 2018. On top of the stress of homework and classes, we have the weight of social media and technology. It's easy to get caught up in Instagramming the perfect photo or the need to update your friends regularly. Over the years, I've learned the importance of taking a step back and doing things for myself — without technology.

Stay Organized

media.giphy.com

This is the most essential part of controlling stress and anxiety. Keeping an up-to-date planner is the perfect solution to maintaining everything you need to get done. There's nothing more satisfying than crossing out something on your to-do list!

Read a book

media.giphy.com

Sure, Netflix is great, but have you ever been engrossed in a fascinating book? Try switching out your nighttime movie or TV show with a book that interests you. Not only is it relaxing, but it will spark your imagination and improve your vocabulary. Start unwinding with a book and you'll see benefits beyond stress relief.

Self-care

media.giphy.com

Self-care is something you should do every day. For me, painting my nails or trying a new face mask is instantaneously relaxing. It allows me to focus on myself and unwind after a stressful day.

Meal prep

media.giphy.com

This school year, I've become obsessed with looking up recipes and cooking. Making food for a few days is an easy way to stay healthy and eliminate the stress of deciding what to eat. If you have some free time, use it to cook. You'll thank yourself the next day when you're super busy and need to eat.

Get Involved

media.giphy.com

Getting involved with clubs is an easy way to meet new people who share similar interests as you. This will allow you to make new friends and work at something you enjoy at the same time. At a large university, it's difficult to meet people. Joining clubs helps make your big school seem somewhat smaller.