5 Ways To Get Back Into The School Spirit

No, none of them include finding the nearest and tallest building.

29
AlexanderStein / Pixabay

Knowing me and knowing the ironic and oftentimes sarcastic tone that my generation withholds, you might expect this article to be laced with jokes about bleach cocktails and driving into oncoming traffic. While that might be how we all feel deep down about the inevitable end of summer, and how little we’ve accomplished since the semester's end in May, there’s no point in mourning the loss of bright and sunny days, frequent day-tripping (I mean this in the literal way, going on trips with friends to state parks and the city. Take it as you will), and the relief from the never-ending cycle of stressors provided by the school year (SIGH).

I’m writing this with something of excitement for the return of the school year, as my summer has been an onslaught of realtor appointments and ice-cream scooping. So for me, August 25th means a slowing-down at work and a stable living situation; no complaints here! But for many it is a time of great loss, and to make up for this loss, I have composed a list of five ways to ease back into the first semester of your next school year, and to perhaps welcome back the study sessions and long, arduous lectures with a smile.

1. Spend your final days doing something worthwhile

The worst final day of summer is one spent sitting on the couch, watching the new season of "Rick and Morty" over a bag of stale Pirate’s Booty. I often speak on immediate gratification and my own personal social anxieties, both of which urge me into situations where I don’t go out and socialize and have fun. But, the feeling of having spent one’s final moments of freedom under the influence of Buzzfeed is much worse than the subtle twinge of pain felt in the milliseconds where the message “hey what are you up to” goes from floating in cyberspace to “delivered.” Go out, do something outside or inside. At least call your friends over to watch "Rick and Morty" with you if you’re going to be that way, but make sure that the days before summer’s unofficial end are worthwhile.

2. Be prepared

This can apply both physically and mentally. Start adjusting your sleep schedule, like, now, if you know you have to be awake at 8 a.m. every day in three weeks. Try refreshing your language skills or re-reading important texts not because they were assigned to you, but because you know that you haven’t been practicing “the ideal amount” of material all through the summer and should probably start somewhere. Write, draw, work those brain muscles the way you work those finger muscles typing snarky comments on your finstagram. Does anybody truly leave classes and immediately begin continuing their education independently in preparation for the upcoming year? For my own sake, I personally hope not, but it’s never too late to start.

3. Treat yo’self to some well-needed essentials

There are certain things you can’t prepare for. There’s no way to tell when a professor is going to ask you to get a 3.5 inch binder only available on Amazon, or an accordion folder with exactly enough pockets to fit each of their seven delegated categories of homework. But you will most certainly need pencils and pens, and a planner. You may even want to go as far as to say you will at some point need a highlighter and a spiral notebook for all that doodli- note-taking you do. Go in at least somewhat prepared with the stationary that could distract you when you do your official shopping after the first week.

4. Eat good food

This isn’t me about to nag you to eat better and drink more water (though, if that was your immediate thought upon reading the title, perhaps you should consider doing so). You know that your school year is about to be full of surprises, one of which will not be an onslaught of prepackaged noodle meals. Or, if you’re anything like me, a series of meals I call “Hot Salad,” which is essentially frozen vegetables sauteed in a pan with any number of seasonings; there’s curried hot salad, Asian hot salad, hot salad italiano, etc.

There’s no time for real cooking when you have seven papers to write and at least 3,000 unread emails sitting in your inbox from blackboard informs you have received and should most certainly be paying attention to. But for now, there is time, and with time comes the great desire to order Chinese and forget the time, but also time for good home-cooked meals with friends, or even a good meal out at a restaurant. Your digestive tract will most certainly appreciate that little extra love, and you’ll feel better about your top ramen and dining hall meals having preceded them with Big People Food.

5. Spend time outside

As someone who lives in the city, I often feel the pain and misery of not wanting to step outside of the beautifully air-conditioned bounds of the indoors. I was less lucky for the first half of my summer, and spent much of it outside due to a rather sticky living situation. Incapable of spending my hours sitting on a lopsided couch (which I love dearly but provided little support), or in a hot room with an air conditioner that was so close (literally in the room) but so far away (just above my humidity-loving European roommate’s bed, and often her), I had no choice but to force myself outside, and it was worth it.

Coming September-something when the winds of change make their way to the forefront and decide that cold is the new “cool,” I’ll look back on the days of sweaty backs and sticky sandals putting along the pavement with longing and desire, wanting those memories to last as long as the days of summer themselves. Then when winter comes, it will only get worse. So remember that, and for the love of Christ GO OUTSIDE.