5 Unintentional Ways We Heal People

5 Unintentional Ways We Heal People

All the little things we do that help people get through.

24
5 Unintentional Ways We Heal People
Google Images

Growing up, I had to face leukemia in a head on collision. The disease came out of nowhere, and I was left in the wreckage of chemotherapy and hospital beds. When you get caught up in a wreck like that, one of the most memorable things becomes the people who helped you through the situation. For me, my parents and my favorite nurse were those people. I do not remember much of the medical side of being treated, but I remember the little things they did to make me always feel better, even then.

Now, as a nursing student and nursing assistant, I have started to notice that the same thing has applied to all the patients that I have crossed paths with. They all face their own head on collision of illness, and I love to jump into the wreck with them to help any way that I can. Throughout all of this, I have realized there are so many unintentional ways we help people heal. Many people may not even realize they are helping at all, but those little things can help make the biggest difference.

1. Laughter. I'm sure most people have heard the phrase "laughter is the best medicine," and really it is. When you are going through something terrible, just being able to laugh for a minute can help you start to feel better. Growing up, my favorite nurse was the one that was silly and made me laugh. Because of her, I try to do the same thing for all the patients under my care. Really, I try to be a jokester with anyone I meet. One time I was working on a unit in the hospital, and I was caring for an old man, as his wife slept in the corner of the room. He told me how they had gotten married young, they had met because they were both Greek. So, during this conversation at five in the morning, I asked if it was anything like "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." The laughter that followed seemed to help us both.

2. Listening. Now, this one is extremely simple, but much of the time it is overlooked. When you're going through hardship, many people will try to give you advice on what you should do, where you should go, why you should do this. Sometimes it can feel like people are just trying to solve a problem, before they have even really heard the problem. I remember one patient I had a few months ago, who was awake at four in the morning (it's hard to sleep in hospitals, trust me). She didn't have the television on, or anything of the sort, so I walked in and asked her how she was doing. Somehow, I ended up in that room for an hour (this is not an exaggeration). She told me stories of adventures and hobbies and achievements. I got a call on my hospital cell long into the conversation, and I had to leave to go help another patient. As I was leaving, she said to me, "I know you're busy with other patients, but I'm glad you came to talk to me."

3. Playing Games. It does not matter how old you are, 1-100, because games can always be fun. During my pediatrics rotation of nursing school, my friend and I took on a little girl in a thrilling game of Jenga that kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Even other nurses and students were peaking their heads in to see what was going on. And at the end of the day, I was told by that same little girl that I was her "favorite nurse ever," which is odd considering I defeated her in Jenga at least five times. But perhaps the funniest time that playing games helped to make someone feel better came during my adult rotation of care. I was caring for a man that was well into his eighties, I believe. I had been told in report that he was grumpy and did not want to adhere to treatments. By the end of that day, I had played 15 rounds of hangman with him. He won them all.

4. Singing. One day at work, I was on a sitter case for the cutest baby girl I have ever seen. I have never really been fond of babies before, but she stole my heart right away. When I was getting report about her, the tech on the floor told me that this little baby girl loved country music. At around three in the morning, she started crying. I changed her diaper, I held her and rocked her, but nothing seemed to help (she had a tube feed running, so it was not hunger either). Suddenly on the television, the song "God Made Girls" came on and by some random luck, I knew the words. She fell asleep during the first chorus. I have never felt so accomplished.

5. Food. I think everyone can agree that hospital food is not entirely the best meal you will eat in your life. Sometimes, I have trouble discerning what the food even is. When I had leukemia, I always had two cravings (neither of which was hospital food): Chinese food and chips. One time at four years old, I even iconically told my mom to "get me some chips, babe." There always is that one outside world food people miss while in the hospital or even just away from home in general. In movies and on television, I have always seen people bringing casseroles to others when something bad happens. Do not bring a casserole. Bring their favorite food. Bring someone that tastes like home. Bring pudding. No patient has ever turned down pudding so far.

Laugh. Listen. Play. Sing. Eat. Do all the things that you would find on those wall decorations that moms put in their kitchens (you know the kind). Slowly begin to help someone heal. Even the littlest thing matters to the people that matter most to you.