5 Tips For The Uncertain College Grad

5 Tips For The Uncertain College Grad

Everyone takes a different path.

8
5 Tips For The Uncertain College Grad
Raw Pixel

There are no words to describe the feeling that comes when walking across the stage at graduation. There is no recollection of the tears cried, tests failed, money wasted, sleep lost, or even the hundreds of dollars spent on textbooks. The only thought that comes to mind is "Where did the past four years go?"

So you've just graduated college, now what? Has everyone asked if you have a job lined up? Did you respond with a subtle shaking of your head? Or are you just not ready to sign your life away to a company you're not sure is the right fit?

It's not like you haven't applied for jobs or researched potential employers. It's just you're undecided on where the next road leads.

Along with the shock factor, is the feeling of "what happens if everything doesn't go as planned?" Here are a few tips from someone who is doing everything they can to run from the corporate ladder:

1. Take time to find yourself

Stress creates a monster. Although we all handle stress differently, we also handle free time differently. Use this time to give yourself a thorough understanding of how you approach situations. Not only will this help when job searching, but it will be handy when settling into a new work environment.

Here are the best tests to take to get a better understanding of yourself!

True Colors Personality Test - I absolutely love this test. The results come with an explanation of "How you see yourself" and "how others see you". It is a good to be aware of the qualities you have and how they come across to those around you.

Career Aptitude Test- This is a ten-minute test that provides a list of careers that match a list of qualities. Even if are sure of a career path, it doesn't hurt keeping your options open.

2. Look for new areas of interest

You might think "Thank goodness learning is over!" In reality, learning never truly comes to a halt. Now that textbooks are in the trash, take the time to think about the tasks you've been wanting to take up. Most of our interests come from what we studied, but what about learning something new? For example, maybe you graduated with a degree in marketing but always wanted to learn about photography. Take a photography class and look for marketing jobs where you could offer photography skills. Not only are you learning something new, but this could also lead to a more desirable resume.

3. Explore Opportunities

If you are one that doesn't feel ready to sit in an office for the next 40 years of your life, maybe look at other options. I hate to use the word "internship", but if you aren't set on a career path then use a 6-month internship to find your footing. One website I love searching for internships is Intern Queen. (No, it's not just for ladies). The internships on this website vary from onsite internships to virtual internships. You will also find an abundance of paid and unpaid internships. Don't eliminate internships just because there isn't compensation. Focus on the experience and the company name landing a spot on your resume.

Another way of gaining experience is through Odyssey! While you're waiting for employers to contact you, gain experience writing weekly or bi-weekly. Just click here.

4. Network

I hate to admit this, but networking is not my forte. I don't like selling myself to a company or trying to convince someone why I'm worthy of a position at their company. I'm one who likes to learn about others rather than talk about myself. From a person who isn't keen in networking, I have a few suggestions that will help you out.

- Don't look at it as convincing, but rather a potential opportunity. In the end, it's up to you to take the job or not. Use the interview as a learning opportunity.

-LinkedIn is huge! Not only can you connect with people you know, but also see where people from your university are employed. In fact, applying for jobs on LinkedIn is a safe way to put information into the hands of future employers.

-Lastly, don't be afraid to ask others where they work. It usually turns into a casual conversation of how they stepped into the workplace. It could also be a way of sharing your resume.

5. Enjoy your free time.

This is a no-brainer, but don't forget to take the time to cherish your huge accomplishment. Not everyone can stick to something for four years long, especially when it includes stress, tears, and stepping out of your comfort zone. When you feel the "Post-College Graduate Blues" coming on, create a reverse bucket list. Write down everything you accomplished in those four years, whether it be big or small. Reminding yourself of how much you've done and restoring that confidence, will give you the ability to venture into the world of jobs.