5 Tips to Battle Brittle and Highly Porous Hair Over 40

Battle Brittle and Highly Porous Hair Over 40

17

It's time to show your strands extra T.L.C to save them from their dry, broom-like appearance. Brittle, highly porous hair requires a delicate hair-care routine that provides your tresses with hydration and strength to resist breakage. We've gathered 5 tips to battle brittle and highly porous hair over 40.

What is Brittle, Highly Porous Hair?

Brittle hair is dry, frizzy and breaks easily under tension. Brittleness is a strong indication of having highly porous hair. Hair can have low porosity, medium porosity, or high porosity. The outermost layer of your hair is made up of cuticles that protect the inner layers of your hair. The cuticles are responsible for controlling how much moisture can be absorbed. If you have highly porous hair, your cuticles are far apart from one another, so moisture can be easily soaked up by your hair. The concern with high porosity hair is that the moisture doesn't stay long enough to provide long-term hydration.

High porosity hair can be frizzy, dry and prone to tangles. This type of hair must be treated with delicacy, as it is easily broken. To test if your hair is highly porous, conduct a porosity test by taking a strand of your hair and placing it in a bowl of water. If your hair sinks to the bottom of the bowl, you have highly porous hair.

1. Trim Away the Dead Ends

Start your brittle hair battle by chopping off dead ends. Hair that has already split will not magically repair itself. Neglecting split ends can cause them to break further up the hair shaft, causing more extreme breakage. A trim is the first step towards a moisturized, healthy mane. To maintain strong ends, it is suggested to get a routine dusting every 6-8 weeks.

2. Use Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner

A gentle shampoo and conditioner with moisturizing properties will take your shower-care routine to the next level. It is essential to infuse your brittle tresses with nutrients and hydration that will deeply penetrate the hair shaft. In your fight for healthy hair, you may consider ditching chemical-heavy formulas containing sulfates, parabens, and alcohols. Harsh chemicals will quickly strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving strands thirsty and vulnerable to damage. Instead, look for restorative formulas including essential oils, natural butters and plant extracts. Highly porous hair benefits more from products that are oil and cream-based rather than gel or water-based.

3. Include Essential Oils in Your Hair-Regimen

Essential oils will nourish your strands and help lock in moisture. Essential oils are derived from plants through methods of distillation or evaporation. Essential oils provide an array of benefits to hair like increasing shine, strength, and hydration. A little oil goes a long way—you can apply a few drops of oil to the ends of your hair or massage them into your scalp. Below you will find the best essential oils for brittle hair:

●Coconut Oil is a strong source of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E. The oil is known to nourish and moisturize the scalp, soothe itchy skin, and prevent dryness.

●Rice Bran Oil, high in vitamin E, prevents moisture loss, adds elasticity, and increases shine.

●Argan Oil is rich in antioxidants and vital fatty acids. Argan oil helps to minimize frizz, restore hydration, and calm an itchy scalp.

●Jojoba Oil is used as a moisturizing ingredient in many conditioners. It can protect your strands against dryness and split ends.

4. Try a Conditioning Mask

A deep conditioning mask offers intense long-term moisture for highly porous hair. Getting into the habit of weekly deep conditioning will allow your hair to retain moisture more efficiently. To replenish hydration, try the Restorative Butter Masque from Better Not Younger. A mask like this one will repair brittle tresses, while supporting new growth that isn't highly porous. A deep conditioner packed with natural oils and butters will penetrate into your strands for greater moisture and nutrient delivery.

5. Increase Your Protein Intake

Treat your brittle strands from the inside out. Highly porous hair is often in need of a protein boost. Keratin is a fibrous protein that provides each strand with structure. An adequate amount of protein strengthens and repairs keratin, which gives hair the structure it needs to grow strong and healthy. You may consider boosting your protein intake by using strengthening products rich in protein. You can also consume protein through your diet or a supplement. Foods that are rich in protein include lean meats, dairy, lean meats, beans, and nuts.

Conclusion

Luckily, there are many solutions to replenish a dry, highly porous mane. Equip yourself with moisturizing ingredients and a protein-rich diet to win your battle against brittle hair.