Five Tips To Making Every Gym Session A Success

Go in with confidence, come out with progress and success.

256
Joel Brown

The first step of making sure you make every workout at the gym is to not be afraid of going to the gym. When you ask people who often stop going to the gym why they’ve stopped, you mostly get responses such as:

• “I don’t like when people stare at me.”
  • “I feel like every time I go, I get judged because of how I look.”
  • “I feel like there is no point for me to be at the gym.”
  • “I feel like an outsider compared to those who go everyday.”

If there are people, who are judging you for being at the gym, then they deserve to be given a lesson in remembering that they were once a beginner and not in shape that they are now. If you want to workout at a gym, then you have every right to be working out at the gym whether you are trying just a beginner to a fitness model. Don’t let the fear of being judged give you a reason to avoid working out at the gym. The biggest lesson to learn that is in 99.9999 percent of all gym rats actually more concerned about how they are seen at the gym than you.

Don’t be afraid to branching out and trying new things. Every gym has at least one trainer and if you want to even be more personal, then bring someone that can help teach you form and technique. Anybody, who appreciates a common goal, will be more than likely willing to help out if there is something you want to be taught or given advice on.

1. We all start somewhere.

If you are truly afraid that people are judging you because you’re out of shape or not as fit as them, then don’t. The majority of people that I’ve talked to actually have told me that they love seeing new people trying their hardest at the gym because they know how hard is it to get started.

2. Stay Focused

The biggest distraction while working out is finding ways to distract yourself from actually working out. When you’re at the gym, turn off your phone if you are using any other music device such as an mp3 player or even and iPod. If you use your phone at the gym for music, then turn it on to airplane mode. If you have a friend and/or training partner, then use them to help you stay focused. Also, make sure to keep them focused on the workout as well. There will be days where slacking off and just talking will seem to be the solution, but the important key to remember is that the common goal is to want to be better than you were yesterday.

If all else fails to help you stay focused, then remember why you started in the first place.

3. Set a Workout Goal. Accomplish It.

Each day at the gym should be different. Some workouts include legs, some back, some arms and shoulders, some abs and neck, some ankles, some chest, and a whole lot of a full body exercises. Let each day be different, so you are working your entire body throughout the week. You don’t want to be this guy.

4. Remember Gym Etiquette.

Now that you are becoming one with the gym, you must remember proper gym etiquette. These are just a few to help you not be that guy/girl that everyone begins to hate.

• The squat/power rack is for squats and other exercises such as bench press, deadlifts, push press and other exercises that require a barbell.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask for a spot! If you feel like you need one, then don’t be afraid to ask. The best thing that will come out is that you will have gotten your sets in and may have made a new gym friend.
  • Don’t tie up two pieces of equipment, especially if it is a busy time at the gym. Only occupy one piece of equipment, so that everyone can make their workouts as efficient and as effective as yours. If doing a “superset,” then don’t be afraid to ask those who are occupying two pieces to “work in” your set, while they are on the other piece of equipment.
  • Lastly, the most important piece of advice for gym etiquette. Wipe down the bench/equipment after use. It takes no less than 10 seconds to get a piece of paper towels, spray down, wipe the solution off, and disposing what you used. If you have your own cloth that you bring, then you are less likely to forget to frequently wipe down the equipment. If you use gym chalk and it makes a mess, then make sure to clean it up.

5. Never quit.

There will be days where going to the gym is “not an option,” however, that is just an excuse to not go those days and then it starts becoming to where you want to quit going since you aren’t seeing a change anyway. Don’t be afraid to feel like you’re not getting results right away. Let’s face it right now. Seeing results right away is never a quick and easy solution to making yourself better mentally, physically, and emotionally. Anyone can go to the gym and workout, but it takes a great deal of mental focus and self-discipline to go consistently to where you start to feel the change happen within yourself. Don’t look for the changes. Let yourself go to where they just come to you one day and you say, “Oh cool. Let’s keep going.”

Remember that every day is a new challenge you get to face as it is a new day to overcome and accomplish it. It will all be worth it at the end.