5 Tips For Starting College... Again

5 Tips For Starting College... Again

Pointers for your second start at secondary education.

209
5 Tips For Starting College... Again
www.csn.edu

Recently, I was called a “non-traditional” college student. Apparently that is what you get labeled if you start college, take a break, and then start back up again. Right out of high school, I worked and went to community college full time. Finally, after two and a half years of that, I hit my breaking point and needed to take a break to concentrate on my mental health and well-being. Now two years later, I’m enrolled to go back part-time for the fall semester. This process has come with a few road bumps, and these are my five tips for starting college again.

1. Give Yourself Enough Time

I decided in April that I was going to start school in the fall, and although I pulled it off, I encountered stressers that could have been avoided. Give yourself time to really research the majors you want to pursue and the colleges that best support your needs. Visit schools, ask questions, and choose carefully.

Also, make sure you know all the important dates that applications and forms may be due. Some of these dates include: when FAFSA is due, when your application and any necessary testing or essays are due, when your tuition is due, and orientation.

If you decide to move to go to school, give yourself enough time to get situated and acquainted with your new area before school starts. I moved a little over a month before school started and that gave me enough time to learn my way around, find a job, and get comfortable with my new environment

2. Invest In A Calendar

I use both a large desk calendar and a notebook sized planner to take to work and class with me. For me, having a list of daily things that I need to accomplish in a day keeps me productive, and checking off tasks is extremely satisfying. I know a lot of people use digital calendars that sync between their phones and their computers, and that works too. I prefer having something physical to carry around or to have on my desk 24/7. I used to think that I was able to just keep everything in my head and remember it all, but having a calendar keeps me organized between school, work, work study, and family obligations. Another tip to be extremely organized would be to color code, but let’s be honest, who has time to keep up with that?

3. Research Everything Your School Has to Offer

Most schools have many resources to offer their students. Besides Financial Aid and Advising, many schools offer behavioral counseling centers, career counseling, child care, and more extremely helpful resources that can make your life as a student easier. What I have been utilizing the most has been my school's career counselor and the behavioral counselor. The career office helps me look for employment opportunities, helps me update my resume, and gives me interviewing tips, while the behavioral counselor helps me manage my stress levels and offers me tips of how to keep mindfulness while attending school.

4. Introduce Yourself

Anytime you meet someone at school for the first time, start with “Hi, my name is _______,” and a handshake if appropriate. You never know who you are going to meet and they could be helpful to you in your journey or even new friends. First impressions are vital in life, and this is the perfect time to start getting used to having control over peoples' first impressions of you, as well as getting used to putting yourself out there and making your presence known. You might be shy and think that just randomly introducing yourself to people might be weird, but it isn’t. You’ll be happy you did and the people you meet will be impressed by your confidence and initiative.

5. Take Time For Yourself

College is stressful, and mixing it with a job and other obligations gets overwhelming. So making sure you have the time to relax and catch your breath is necessary to keep yourself healthy and is crucial to your success in finishing your degree. Whether “you time” is loud music, meditation, or exercising, it is essential, and it really does improve your mindset. If you are having a hard time finding ways to relax, your schools counseling center may have helpful suggestions for you.

Over all, be proud of yourself! You made a huge decision on improving your life, and it is admirable. Make the most of it and have fun! We may be “non-traditional” college students, but we still deserve to have a great experience.