5 Tips For Someone Starting Out In Photography

From someone who watched too many tutorials.

8
https://picjumbo.com/download/?d=big-dslr-camera-and-equipment.jpg&n=big-dslr-camera-and-equipment&id=1

1. Know what you want out of your camera.

Different cameras can accommodate better than others for different uses. It is less about the brand and more about whether or not you want to do photography, videography, or both. In addition, If you are interested in vlogging, a camera with a flip out screen is very ideal.

2. If you are serious about it, save for a DSLR camera.

A DSLR camera is going to allow you the option to attach different lenses, as opposed to a compact camera or a bridge camera that has a single built-in lens. Giving yourself options for the future is much smarter than limiting your ability to grow as a photographer from the start.

3. Accept that it is an EXPENSIVE hobby.

I did not realize just how expensive, but with the very basics, and one high quality lens, you are looking at around fifteen hundred dollars. Now, I am all about a bargain, but they are hard to come by when looking at your actual camera body and the lenses. Even things like a back up battery cost sixty dollars alone. It hurts at first, but if you are really passionate about it, you will save for it, and the money will be worth it in the long run.

4. Add a camera backpack to your list of initial purchases.

Take it from me, I did not think I needed it yet and thought I was saving money by getting a small camera bag. Next thing I know, I buy one microphone or one 6" tripod and they already do not have a home. Being proactive means you will already have the space for new things as you grow your equipment collection. I also recommend a backpack that can be converted into an every day one (we love more for our money).

5. Start out on manual settings.

There seems to be this fear had by a lot of people of moving from automatic settings to manual ones on your camera. Some people who I follow have even said that they spent over a year in auto mode before starting with manual. Manual settings allow for much better images and a unique look to them that is chosen by you. I also think it is important to start out here so that there is no fear going into it, and you won't get stuck in auto mode.