5 Tips for Getting a Start-up off the Ground
Technology

Get Ideas

24

If you are tired of working for an employer, or you have a great idea for a business, you may want to get start up off the ground. It's important that you do not rush into this. You need to make sure that your proposal is solid and that you have a business plan in place.

If you do not research and plan effectively, the chances of your business succeeding are limited. Here are five tips that can help with the planning process and with marketing your business.

Have a business proposal that works

There is a world of difference between having a good idea and turning an idea into a successful business. You need to know whether or not you have a proposal that will work.

It can be useful to use family and friends as an initial sounding board. They are likely to be honest with you and to provide you with constructive criticism. You can also research your chosen industry online and find out if there is room in the market for your proposed business. It's better to do this research before you launch your startup so that you can make any amendments that are necessary

Know your industry and your market

When you are researching the market it's not just about clarifying whether your idea will work. You also need to take into account other factors including:

• The number and quality of your competitors.
  • The customer group you are aiming to appeal to.
  • Customer pain points that your business could potentially address.
  • Financial resources that will be necessary to start your business, based on current industry information.

Create a business plan

Once you have completed your initial research you need to create a business plan. This plan is important because it will be the basis for your business activity going forward. A good business plan should include:

• An executive summary that is an overview of your business.
  • Details of your business idea and mission.
  • The marketing and sales strategy for your business.
  • Details of your operations.
  • A financial forecast.

If you are looking to acquire financing to help you set up your business, you will need to present your business plan to the lender. You will also need to provide details of your personal finances. This is where our next point comes into play.

Make sure your finances are in order

If you are starting out in business for the first time you will obviously not have a commercial credit history. Potential lenders will use your personal finance details and personal credit rating when making decisions on any business loan you apply for.

This is why it's so important to make sure that your finances are in order. You should start to make sure that this is the case several months before you set up your business. This gives you the opportunity to get some useful advice and use it to help improve your financial situation, if necessary.

Make use of social media

When you first create a start-up you need to attract a customer base. One of the best ways to do this is by using social media. You can set-up accounts on relevant social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. By creating well-designed social media posts, you can attract people to your brand.

You can also use social media to communicate with customers and potential customers. For instance, you can respond to comments and reviews on Facebook or set up a live Q&A session on Twitter. This basic social media presence is free to use and is a useful marketing tool for most startups.

Planning is essential if you want to create a start-up that is more likely to succeed. Use these tips to help you plan for the creation of your business.