A home is one's safe haven, it is a place of refuge from the outside world where we can relax and be ourselves. Homeis often associated with family and community where people come together to celebrate holidays, share meals, and create memories. Ultimately, a home is more than just a place to live; it's a reflection of one's identity, values, and aspirations.Therefore, it is important to ensure the health and safety of your home to live safely and happily with your loved ones. In this article, we'llshare a few tips for ensuring a healthy home:
1. Keep your home clean and clutter-free: Keeping your home clean and clutter-free can significantly improve the health of your home and the people living in it. In addition, de-cluttering also has a positive impact on your mental health. Vacuuming carpets, wiping down surfaces, and washing bedding and curtains are all important steps in maintaining a clean and healthy living space.
2. Control indoor humidity levels: Indoor humidity levels can have a significant impact on your health. High humidity can lead to the growth of mold and mildew, which can cause respiratory problems and other health issues. In addition to causing health issues, mold and mildew can also cause structural damage to your home leading to costly repairs. Getting an infrared scan can help detect moisture and leakages so that you can develop a mitigation plan for the same.
3. Ensure good air quality: Indoor air quality is one of the most critical factors in maintaining a healthy home. According to a study done by the EPAPA, indoor levels of pollutants may be 2 to 5 times – and occasionally 100 times – higher than outdoor levels. Such levels of indoor pollutants are of great concern because most people spend more than 90 percent of their time indoors.
Keeping your home ventilated is one way to reduce indoor air pollutants. Using air purifiers is another way to improve the indoor air quality of your home. In addition, consider getting a professional indoor air quality test to determine the source of any contamination and develop the mitigation plan in a timely manner.
4. Check for pests and pest damage: Pest damage can severely damage the health and safety of the home and its people. Problems such as termites are known to cause extensive damage to the wooden structures of walls, floors, ceilings, and furniture.
One way to prevent damage from pests is to regularly check your home for pests and eliminate potential entry points, such as cracks and gaps around windows and doors. In addition, consider getting a professional pest inspection to identify any signs of pest infestation and affected areas to develop a mitigation plan.
5. Get a periodic healthy home check: Over time, issues with major components such as roof, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and foundation could negatively affect the safety, livability, and resale value of your home. In addition to that, minor issues could become major resulting in costly repairs. Therefore, it is important to get a periodic inspection of the major components by a professional home inspector to ensure the health and safety of your home and your family.
Ensuring the health and safety of your home is crucial for your overall physical and mental well-being. By adhering to the steps outlined in the article, you can maintain a healthy home environment and enjoy a healthy and happy lifestyle with your family. Additionally, for any home inspection needs, make sure you choose a professional and certified home inspector to identify any potential issues in your home that need your attention.